Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD Radeon 7690M Problems

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 seifpic

seifpic

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

Hello,

I recently bought the HP Envy laptop 15 with the following specs:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 8139 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 7690M, 1024 Mb (Which is as far as I know a modified version of the ), Switchable with Intel ® HD Graphics Family.
Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1688

Anyway, I first realized that the switchable graphics is not functioning properly when I got an After Effects Plugin (VideoCopilot's Element 3D) that doesn't function with Intel®graphics cards. On the top bar of the plugin it said that the current graphics card was the Intel® HD one. No matter what I set any program to use "High Performance" or "Power Saver" in the catalyst, Nothing functioned as expected, the only card in use was the Intel® HD Graphics Family. I read a couple things on the web which stated that dynamic graphics mode is pretty buggy with the Envy 15. So I changed "Dynamic" in the bios system configuration to "Fixed". And when I restarted, I was able to switch between graphics cards at will. I ran Minecraft and at Performance set to "Max FPS" I got 100+ FPS and the graphics card crashed. I set it to "VSync" and FPS was limited to 60 (Which is all I need). I tried running Element 3D and it crashed. I later read that I need to download version 12.7 of the catalyst for Element 3D to work. I did and it worked fine. However when I play Minecraft, Performance set to "VSync" limits FPS to 30 (which is pretty crappy), and at "Max FPS" I get 35 fps or less. As far as I know "VSync" should limit fps to 60. I tried fixing this by updating drivers in Device Manager and rebooting. When I try opening the Catalyst control center I get error messages stating that there are no settings to change. I reinstalled Catalyst (Which installed other drivers with it) then it returns like it was before updating drivers. What should I do to fix this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The Warrior

The Warrior

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

I will mention the link , from where you can download the driver for your gpu.
I have checked the details of the driver and it will work with the above mention gpu of yours.
Hope this helps.

Here is the link.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

#3 seifpic

seifpic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:39 PM

I will mention the link , from where you can download the driver for your gpu.
I have checked the details of the driver and it will work with the above mention gpu of yours.
Hope this helps.

Here is the link.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx

I downloaded and it installed to the following path: "C:\AMD\Catalyst_Mobility_64-Bit_Util"
I run the CatalystMobility.exe in that path and it opens an install window with the following error:
Posted Image

#4 paullson

paullson

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:56 PM

Integrated GPU's don't use standard drivers in a lot of cases. You should download the most current drivers from HP (http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html). I'd give a more direct link but I don't know what specific Envy you have.

#5 seifpic

seifpic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

Integrated GPU's don't use standard drivers in a lot of cases. You should download the most current drivers from HP (http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html). I'd give a more direct link but I don't know what specific Envy you have.

Thanks, I found my exact product number by pressing 'fn + esc' and now I'm downloading the driver. Although it's the initial one that came with my laptop, I think I might get it to work :D I'll give an update when I finish the download.

#6 seifpic

seifpic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

Now it's worse, I uninstalled only "Catalyst Control Center" and "AMD Display Driver" from the install manager (Which was downloaded from Hp's website), however I didn't reboot my laptop from fear that the OS itself doesn't display correctly (uninstalling display drivers makes me feel uneasy) and quickly installed them from the install manager. Now in Device Manager the graphics card shows up as "Radeon ™ HD 7690M" while previously it showed up as "AMD Radeon HD 66XX 67XX Series" (or something similar). Now Minecraft runs the same as before while Element crashes. dxdiag.exe and Element 3D both show that I'm using the Radeon card. What is the problem here?

Edited by seifpic, 15 September 2012 - 08:35 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:41 PM

Reboot the computer...as requested, please.

The installed drivers cannot take effect until the reboot is done and the new drivers are detected properly.

Uninstall the old drivers via Device Manager...then install the new drivers and reboot.

Louis

#8 seifpic

seifpic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

Reboot the computer...as requested, please.

The installed drivers cannot take effect until the reboot is done and the new drivers are detected properly.

Uninstall the old drivers via Device Manager...then install the new drivers and reboot.

Louis

First of all, do I reboot after uninstalling from device manager?
Second, I tried uninstalling the drivers from device manager while using the Intel card (so that I don't uninstall it while I'm using it) however the only thing that shows is the Intel one (even with show hidden checked) Posted Image The radeon card only shows when I'm using it as the graphics card: Posted Image. Is it okay to uninstall it while I'm using it? If so what would I expect to happen when I do? If not, what should I do?

Thanks in advance.

#9 seifpic

seifpic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

Bump...

#10 seifpic

seifpic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 12:15 PM

Mod Edit: Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

I have not yet solved this problem and I am still awaiting an answer, I do not want to post on other forums yet since It it a pain to manage the same thread on multiple forums. The Envy 15 is a great laptop aesthetically and also performance wise, however the graphics card problem is the only downside I have found. Until I get an answer here, my Intel card performs better than the Radeon. Hopefully we can get an answer soon.

Edited by hamluis, 08 October 2012 - 02:21 PM.
Removed quote - Hamluis.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 08 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

My suggestion is quite clear, IMO, in stating what should be done and when.

If you choose to try to make it more complicated than it is...well, I don't have a cure for that.

Louis

#12 seifpic

seifpic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

Your steps were pretty clear, I'm not going to argue about that. But you stated to uninstall from the device manager, and I was just trying to be specific since with computers not being specific can lead to other problems.

#13 seifpic

seifpic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

Bump...

#14 seifpic

seifpic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

I tried completely uninstalling the drivers following the instructions from this link: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5806-RUOG-4683 And the problem still persists. The problem is not only with Minecraft, I tried playing other games like Fifa 12 and Fifa 13 and the performance is very bad. What else should I try (other than formatting my PC)?

#15 seifpic

seifpic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:15 PM

Fixed it! Followed the instructions here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00823253&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5218390

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users