Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Sp2 Restarts At Xp Splash Screen.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dropmurphy

Dropmurphy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:57 PM

I went on vacation. Came home. LCD monitor was very dim. I could turn off, then turn on the monitor to get a second of normal viewing before it went dim again. I thought this may be some sort of recent problem (hoping my monitor hadn't crapped out), so I tried a system restore, having to switch the monitor on and off frequently to see what I was doing. Anyway, after the restore I had gotten to the login page (with the different user accounts) and stepped away for a few moments. When I came back the screen was still dark, so I turned off the computer and switched out to an old CRT monitor I have. When I tried starting up, the computer went through everything normal, but after the little blue thing scrolled across the bottom a few times on the splash screen, my comp would restart--going back to the motherboard screen and into a continuous loop of this until I shut it down. I tried a repair with the XP cd I have, but came up with BSOD-- BAD_POOL_CALLER 0x000000c2 (0x00000043, 0xc55D0000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000). I then tried installing XP onto an old hard drive that I installed into the comp, setting the original as a slave. This allowed me to at least see most of my stuff on the original drive, but I can't get into some of my files as they are under a password protected account (I keep getting access denied). Some of these files are irreplaceable and would at the VERY least like to be able to access these files so I can back them up and do a fresh install. Ideally I would like to be able to fix the original install so I can get back up to normal running order. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Heyoldman

Heyoldman

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:16 PM

i think(not sure though) that the reasons why it wont let you in without a password is that when you cleaned your system what is does is save the old part but put's a lock on it. So when you tried to go through everything again, you can't get in. I have to know what those files are exactly but... I might be of little little help to you.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:00 AM

Hi Dropmurphy! Let me ask a few questions so that we can understand.

Did you have a password on the account on the original XP installation? I am referring to the account that now you cannot access through the new installation.

Is your monitor working properly now, or do you continue to have monitor issues? Which monitor are you currently using?

There is more info on your error to be found HERE.

Before I post any of my ideas I wonder if you could answer the above.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2006 - 03:57 PM

If you have administrator rights you can take ownership of the files it isn't allowing you to access.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

#5 Dropmurphy

Dropmurphy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:14 PM

Thanks for the help, all. Yeah, I ended up taking ownership of the files I needed through safe mode and backed them up. Then I did a fresh install (which I needed to do anyway) losing nothing that couldn't be easily replaced. I'm still having issues with the original monitor, but I haven't really looked into that yet. I'm currently stuck using an old CRT as I said. I just wish I knew what happened to the LCD so that it doesn't happen again. I'll probably get it repaired or save up and upgrade to a larger LCD since the prices have dropped some since I bought it about 2 1/2 years ago. Anyone know the average life expectancy on an LCD?

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 16 March 2006 - 06:29 PM

I have a Compaq 468x50 with a 10.4" screen I have had since '92. It still looks and works great. I never really heard of a LCD with a life. I know plasma screens have a 5 yr life.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users