Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have XP stand alone should I have purchased win7 upgrade for XPMode

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LIOTB

LIOTB

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:57 PM

I recently purchased a computer with Win7. Home Premium. Then I upgraded to win7 Pro. so I could use XPmode. I just remembered something that I wanted to do a while ago with vista. I have a stand alone of XP.

My questions are these:
1. Did I have to purchase windows Pro upgrade, could I have just installed the virtual machine and then my stand alone XP?

2. If so would I still have the option to luanch programs for xp right from the win7 start menu like XPmode allows?

3. My next question is how do I take HD space from XP mode partition and give it back to the win7 partition?

4. Further can I install my winVista upgrade CD on this vertual matchin and have vista as well (same questions about a stand alone win2k).

Thank you for all the help and sacrifice ahead of time!
LIOTB

Edited by hamluis, 26 October 2012 - 10:03 AM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 15 September 2012 - 10:01 PM

I think you may be referring to this http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/11060/create-an-xp-mode-for-windows7-home-versions-and-vista/

Tekken

#3 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:13 AM

jhayz,

thank you my friend, it looks like i didn't need to purchase it after all. Oh well, at least I have pro and the xp mode and it all works great.

Now the question is this, as I have, 2k, xp, vista (all stand alone, but vista is the upgrade version) and win7(oem) can I save my win7 to me external hard drive. After which format the hard drive and install all these OS's ubuntu and then slap in win7 from my external hard drive? (and put in ubuntu to top it off?)

Thank you for your help,
Aaron

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

The licenses determine...whether you can reinstall any of your Windows versions.

No such thing as a "standalone" version, BTW.

If you have an OEM version of any Windows O/S, it is tied to the system it came installed (any OEM, e.g., HP, Dell, etc.) on or to the motherboard/system in which it was first installed (MS System Builder).

Rather than reinstalling, you might consider multiple booting the various drives reflecting the O/Ses installed.

Louis

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

can I save my win7 to me external hard drive.

You mean cloning or imaging the exact copy of the windows 7 to another drive? http://oakdome.com/k5/tutorials/windows-7-disk-imaging/windows-7-system-imaging.php

Tekken

#6 LIOTB

LIOTB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:48 AM

Hello everyone!

I have, 2k, xp, vista (all stand alone, but vista is the upgrade version) and a laptop with win7 pro(oem).

Now, the question is this, as can I save my win7 (as it stands now) to me external hard drive, after which format the hard drive and install all these OS's ubuntu and then slap in win7 from my external hard drive? (and put in ubuntu to top it off?)

Thank you for your help,
LIOTB

Edited by hamluis, 26 October 2012 - 10:04 AM.
Merged topics - Hamluis.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

Depends...on the applicable licenses for each O/S.

If those O/S are OEM-licensed...the answer is no.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users