Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

double click

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

I'm not 100% sure this is the mouse's fault... so, I'm not sure it belongs in the hardware section... but, I really didn't know where to put this.

I've had this computer for about a year and a half. Dell Inspiron 560 Windows 7, most of the info is in my profile but I can give it all here if needed.
That first year I had it, there were times where I would click on something... and I PROMISE it was a single click... and it would double click it. Clicking on an email, sometimes it would open it in a new window or tab rather than right there on the screen... Sometimes I'd click the "delete" button for the email and next thing I knew, 2 messages were gone. Again, I promise I clicked ONCE and ONCE only. The double click speed is whatever the default was and I considered that for a short time but, I'm not double clicking so that shouldn't matter.
It will happen a few times, here and there... When it does, sometimes I minimize everything and go to the desktop and click here and there... double clicking on purpose... sometimes a little rougher than normal... right click... refresh... just, whatever... and usually, it goes away. Then another day, it happens again.
I eventually got SICK of it and bought a new mouse.
Now... once in a while, it still happens. It sure seemed like it happened less after I got the new mouse.
I'm just not sure what to think. It SEEMS like a hardware issue but, it's happened with 2 mice now... and, it's a temporary problem.
The first mouse was the one that came with it, a Dell... second one that I'm using now is a $8-$10 logitech mouse from Walmart.
It doesn't seem like it should be a software problem since it is so inconsistent and because it SEEMS like going to the desktop and clicking around a bit helps it when it happens. That makes it seem like a hardware issue, to me. But, it still just doesn't make sense to me. Is it the mouse, or is it the computer?
Short term, I've used the other mouse on another computer, a laptop... haven't had it happen there but I probably haven't tested it enough.

I do play a few dumb facebook games where clicking on things is part of it. (not farmville, I will never play another Zynga game again) But, still weird that it doesn't happen consistently... and I would think that a mouse would be built to last a little longer... I'm only a LITTLE rough with it when I'm mad for it double clicking... other than that, I don't abuse the thing in any way.
It's been two mice now so, there has to be some factor that would explain it. Some cause... but, what?
Any thoughts?

Again, I promise I do not double click. Sometimes when it happens, I am VERY careful and I still get the double click effect.
Does any of this make sense?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:53 PM

Tried safemode with networking already to check on the difference? Have you tried scanning your computer lately with your current protection software?

Edited by jhayz, 16 September 2012 - 08:07 PM.

Tekken

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:41 AM

This could be a driver issue. Try uninstalling the mouse drivers in the Device Manager.

Go to Start> open Control Panel> open Systems and Security> Device Manager.

Double click on Mice and other pointing devices. Click on the HID-Compliant mouse. Click on the Driver tap at the top, then click on Uninstall.

When you restart your computer a new driver will be installed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 616 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:21 AM

I put off trying that at first because I really didn't see how that would be the problem... It's difficult really to see anything as the problem as it can be so intermittent. But, it acted up a little the other day so I tried it. It almost seems like it has happened a little more often since I reinstalled the driver. :/
It's confusing. I don't get it.

#5 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:39 AM

I doubt this is a driver issue, the problem has replicated with two different devices.

Boot to safe mode. If it doesn't happen in safe mode, consider a virus/malware scan.

If it occurs in safe mode, I would become suspicious of motherboard issue involving the PS/2 connector.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#6 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 616 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:52 AM

I haven't really tested it in safe mode.  I think one reason why I haven't bothered is because this is an intermittent issue.  I never know when it's going to act that way.  But, it still happens here and there.
I have a feeling I know what may be at least part of the problem...  I'm not sure when I'll get around to testing my theory though...

I forget what the thing is called, but, my mouse, keyboard, and monitor are plugged into a little device, not directly into my tower.  From there, there are two sets of wires...  display, one usb that controls both mouse and keyboard, and a sound cable(which I don't use through that anyway).  One set of wires connects to my tower... the other, I connect to computers I might be working on.  I tap the 'scroll lock' key twice on the keyboard and it switches to the other computer... double tap it again and switch back.  So, I use one monitor, mouse, and keyboard for two computers when I need to.  It's quite convenient. 
I could be wrong but, I think it acts up a little more often when I'm switching a lot.  hard to say...  but since I've had this happen with a few mice and I know it's not the driver, it's definitely at the top of my list of possible causes. 

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:43 AM

It would help a lot if you post at least the model of this device, with that I should be able to find more information.  Without this I'm pretty much clueless as to what you have going.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 616 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 01:50 PM

usb 2 port kvm switch
model no :GCS632UWM

Odd, I wasn't able to right click and select 'paste' to paste that.  Oh well... ctrl v worked.
Anyway, that's what I have. 

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 08:25 PM

Does it happen only with a particular computer activity? Maybe the KVM swithc needs to be replaced given that the other device work flawlessly on another computer. I would try scanning your computer with an on demand scanner like Malwarebytes (quick scan) just in case.

Tekken

#10 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 616 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:35 PM

I know it's been a few months.  I am a professional procrastinator...  I'm not sure what's going on with this, but something sure it.  I've put it off because it's intermittent... just once in a while for the most part.  Rather odd.  Not consistent.  No rhyme or reason... no set things or days or anything that would help narrow anything down.
I've ruled out the switch though.  Recently it has been getting a little worse...  nothing was ALL the time, and still isn't.  But lately, I've had trouble where sometimes it would double click when I clicked on things... and other  times, it LOOKED like I clicked, but nothing happened.

Well today, things were worse than normal.  LOTS of double clicks happening...  and that can cause bad things... like when I click "delete" on an email... and then 2 emails are gone.  Etc... 
It got so bad today, I unplugged the mouse from that switch and put it directly into my tower...  Seemed a little better... but, it was STILL happening.
I will also mention that from time to time I use the mouse on my kids' laptop and it doesn't do this to me.
This leaves me thinking it's the computer.  But the question is...  is it a hardware/circuitry issue or is it software?  I am very careful what sites I go to, I have windows and avast up to date at ALL times... I run a malwarebytes scan from time to time... I run CCleaner from time to time.  My system isn't perfect of course but I'm pretty careful.  I don't suspect malware... not to mention how sporadic and inconsistent this issue is... how long it has gone on... and the fact that some days are worse than others.  Doesn't add up, to me, to something like malware.
But what then?
As I mentioned... I keep windows up to date.  If it wasn't so late at night I'd go do some more googling...  When it's bad, it really drives me nuts. 
someone mentioned earlier in the conversation...

If it occurs in safe mode, I would become suspicious of motherboard issue involving the PS/2 connector.

I will try to remember to test things in safe mode tomorrow. 

Edit: I lied... did a little quick googling.  Going to bed after this though.  I only did a LITTLE searching but found ONE person mention they had trouble when temps got high.  It's been warm, in the 80°sF inside the house  Just ran speccy to see what it said...  motherboard and hdd read as 38°C but the cpu is showing between 52 and 54°C
It's a little dusty in there but not THAT bad...  I will clean it out in the morning if I remember just in case.  Not saying I think it's a temperature problem BUT that would account for it happening here and there and not consistently.  Maybe...

Edited by millipede, 01 June 2013 - 12:19 AM.

#11 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 616 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2013 - 09:43 PM

Okay... I waited til it was driving me nuts again today and restarted to safe mode... and, it DOES happen in safe mode as well.  I wish it was just something as simple as a mouse(and wish I had a new one lying around to test). 
I am thinking if it were just a mouse issue it would happen less sporadically...  more frequently.  As it is, sometimes it doesn't happen for a while and other times it's almost constant.  Once in a while doesn't bother me but when it happens over and over, it starts to drive me nuts.  :/

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 02:05 AM

Please try this link in resolving your mouse misbehaving issue.

Tekken

#13 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 616 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2013 - 08:59 AM

Up until now, I've tried everything on that list already except the intellipoint software.  It says to uninstall and then reinstall it.  I don't see it on my computer to do that.  I can try installing it but, pretty much most of the stuff on that list would cause this to be an issue ALL the time, not just some of the time. 
I make sure I am single clicking.  When it gets bad, I go to my desktop and single click on different files.  It opens some of them sometimes and not others.  Always on single click.
This problem has happened with different mice at different times but ONLY on this computer... which is why I don't believe it's the mouse.
The link for the intellipoint stuff provided by that link has a BIG list of downloads.  I'm not sure which, if any, apply to my computer...

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/downloads

But, again, I'm thinking if it were a driver type issue, it would be more frequent.  I have, before now, already uninstalled and reinstalled the mouse.    I could go looking to see if there are more updated drivers somewhere than my computer has but, I really don't think that's the issue.

To add a little more to the picture... part of why I'm currently leaning towards this being an INTERNAL hardware issue is...  I will have to pay more attention to this to see if I'm right but, it seems this doesn't happen for a while after I've turned the computer on for the day...  meaning, the computer has to be on for a while before this starts happening.  Just turned it on a little while ago and it's not happening at all right now. 
Anyway, as far as the link above goes, the uninstalling/reinstalling intellipoint is the only thing on the list I have not tried.

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 03:10 AM

See also this sevenforums thread.

Tekken

#15 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 616 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

hmm, that had nothing to do with the issue I'm having.  No mention of double click issues.  That issue there was all software related.  I seriously do not think software is the issue here...  I could be wrong, but it sure seems that way. 
I cannot say if it is temperature related or not because as long as this has been going on(a LONG time, off and on) I have not paid attention to when it happened more frequently.
Short term, I can say it was REALLY bad a couple days ago when it was rather warm in here... and I can say that yesterday it was much cooler out(and inside the house) and it really didn't bother me at all yesterday.  Big difference from the day before.
I can try reinstalling new drivers or software or whatever you think may help... and I will if that's what you suggest, but I'm really not thinking this is a software issue. 
Which, if I'm right, leaves me thinking the only solutions would be to replace the motherboard(I'm guessing that's where the issue lies), replace the computer(wish I had the money for that, new is nice...) or simply find a way to keep the tower cooler when it's hot in here...  something I'm not sure how to do during the summer especially.  Eh... I just don't know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users