Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Protection Prgrams?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:36 PM

I've got a friend whose computer is constantly getting virus (the virus protection catches them luckily), spyware, malware, adware and all that other bad stuff. I mean, honestly, it's horrid. I used to go up and "clean up" their computer, but after a month or so, it would be back to a slow crawl and just horribly infected with everything under the sun.

There are two young boys there, and I believe that the youngest (almost 10 yrs old) is to blame for most, if not all of the crap that ends up on the computer. I think that he just downloads everything there is and opens it and doesn't check for virus's or anything of that sort. It's cable isp, so it's always on, and they'll wake up in the morning and have 20 or 50 popups. They're computer is so slow that it barely runs, and when it does manage to open a program, it usually "encounters and error and has to close" within a minute or 2.

What I'm wondering, is there a "net nanny" program, or any program(s) that will prevent the youngling from going to sites that are potentially bad, or that contain bad things? Even if the parents had to pay for it, as long as it works and keeps the kids from going to sites where they can download malware etc., it'll be worth it....or will it? Are the net nanny programs easily bypassed or not effective enough? These are the kind of people that are computer illiterate, and don't maintain their computer like I tell them to through regular scans and whatnot, so if I can get something on their computer that will keep them from accessing bad sites, it would really help.

I've tried the firewall route with them before, and when a pop up says "such and such is trying to download something that your computer....allow it?" The kid clicks yes, which makes the firewall useless.

Ugh...those who have kids understand why wild animals sometimes eat their young. LOL!!!! J/K :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 *Desdinova*

*Desdinova*

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 24 March 2006 - 10:41 PM

Hi steveallmighty :cool:

Perhaps SpywareBlaster and IE spyad already can prevent many harm, they block known dangerous (malware-installing) sites.
IEspyad
spywareblaster

Another thing you could try on their computer, is installing a modified "hosts" file, s.a.
MVPSHosts file
or
HPGuru's Hosts file
Also blocking known bad sites, so they simply cannot reach them or download from them (restrictions)
All of them are freeware

Are they using Windows XP ?
In that case, a restricted/lilited account for the kids also might help to prevent a lot of problems
More info

... And don't give up trying to 'educate' that kids (and the parents) about the dangers of just clicking "yes".. have in mind, some day they will 'get it' :thumbsup:
maybe some entertaining videos about it will help
I really like those great "anti-adware dude" flash videos from Paperghost :flowers:
but the seem to be offline again :inlove:
Perhaps this one can also be helpfull ...but it probably will too dull for the younger one

Good luck :trumpet:

Edited by *Desdinova*, 24 March 2006 - 10:42 PM.

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:14 AM

Thanks Desdinova, I'll be sure to try those out.

I've had their computer for a while and it was so bad off that I actually gave up on it. It took me almost 2 days to get rid of enough crap on it so that I could connect to the internet.

Quick question: I have spyware blaster on my computer, but it doesn't start at start up....or am I missing something? Is there an option to have it run at start up (then in the background?). The only way I can get it to run is to manually start it then minimize it, which is annoying, and won't do any good if someone closes it.

Thanks for the help :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 07:46 AM

Not sure how Spyware Blaster operates but I use it to stop malware installing. A sister programme is SpywareGuard which runs in the background. I also use SpyBot S&D with resident Teatimer enabled, and CyberHawk. Works for me. SpyAd IE is also good but is a bit of a pain in that it should be updated monthly and the previous version needs to be uninstalled first.

Though don't know how good anything will be with a 'compulsive clicker.'

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2006 - 09:11 AM

Compulsive clicker is exactly right. That's why I wanted a program that would run in the background and actually restrict the sites that he was going to. I figured that if I could install a program that restricted sites, and actually prevented them from accessing them (like "You are not authorized to view this page. Contact your admistrator" or something to that effect.), then that would fix half of the issues.

I think the other half would be to educate the ENTIRE family on what these sites and programs will do to their computer. Not sure if it'll actually sink in or not though.....
Posted Image

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 27 March 2006 - 04:25 PM

Exactly. I have the same problem with a friend's pc and 6yo. Tried the content part of Internet Options but that was hopeless, couldn't access anything without entering a password.

I will be interested in the suggestions you receive. It must be a fairly general problem. Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:45 AM

Exactly. I have the same problem with a friend's pc and 6yo. Tried the content part of Internet Options but that was hopeless, couldn't access anything without entering a password.

I will be interested in the suggestions you receive. It must be a fairly general problem. Cheers

I'm going to end up wiping the drive and reinstalling the OS on it. From there, I'll install all the programs that were suggested and just go from there.

I tried searching the internet for "net nanny" and similar programs, but wasn't happy with the results....a lot of the sites that I ended up at had pop ups and just "looked" untrustworthy :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:48 PM

Here's a thread that might be of interest, stevealmighty.
Parental Control
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 29 March 2006 - 03:53 PM

Excellent! Thanks for the link tg1911 :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#10 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:19 PM

You're welcome. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users