Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless adapter not working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 luderdune

luderdune

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

I installed an Alfa AWUS036H wireless adapter on my Asus u50f laptop. It didn't work, customer support said it must be a defective unit and return.

One of the troubleshooting steps I tried was disabling the regular wireless adapter. I tried that and also uninstalling it.

Now, I have uninstalled the Alfa driver/utility, and simply want my regular wireless to work again. I tried reinstalling the driver automatically, and also others i found on the net, and none work. They all say device is working properly, but there is a red x on the tray icon and it says no connections and there is no list of networks in range like usual.

When I run the Windows (7) troubleshooter, it says there is a problem with the driver but offers no solution.

I tried system restore from multiple points, but all say it can't restore (possibly due to AV program). So I uninstalled avast, tried again, and still can't get a restore.

I've been playing with this for a couple hours and can't think of anything else to try. For the record, the ethernet connection works fine.

I hope I'm not screwed, really don't want to have to do a fresh install....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:14 PM

Recheck your drivers and check this Driver Download site -
Driver - ALFA Network 21 Aug 2012

http://www.alfa.com.tw/in/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=AWUS036H&Category=105463#Installation << Driver install directions -

#3 luderdune

luderdune
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:24 PM

Recheck your drivers and check this Driver Download site -
Driver - ALFA Network 21 Aug 2012

http://www.alfa.com.tw/in/front/bin/ptdetail.phtml?Part=AWUS036H&Category=105463#Installation << Driver install directions -

I already went through troubleshooting the Alfa device; it was deemed to be defective by an Alfa tech so I have to return it.

I'm okay with that for now, I just want my onboard/original wifi connection to work like it did before I messed with everything.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:03 PM

When I run the Windows (7) troubleshooter, it says there is a problem with the driver but offers no solution.

Hi -
Please list the driver you have in Device Manager that is faulty -
Or post a Screenshot of Device Manager with the problem item displayed -

Thank you -

#5 luderdune

luderdune
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:40 PM

Hi -
Please list the driver you have in Device Manager that is faulty -
Or post a Screenshot of Device Manager with the problem item displayed -

Thank you -

The driver is Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter #3 (it was #2 earlier when I was messing with it if that means anything).

There is no problem with the driver in devman, it says it is working perfectly. However the network troubleshooter gives both the following errors:

"The wireless network adapter is experiencing problems"

"There might be a problem with the driver for the Wireless Network Connection adapter"

#6 luderdune

luderdune
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

UPDATE

After searching online for similar issues, I uninstalled ZoneAlarm, and that fixed it right up. Many thanks to etaf for offering so many solutions, who would expect it to be the firewall software? Anyways just wanted to update in case anyone with a similar problem ever finds this thread.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users