Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hopefully An Easy Question Question About Network Sharing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 norwood781

norwood781

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:39 PM

Hi all!

I live in a two family house. The bottom floor is where the wireless router is.

Up here I have a laptop connected to the wireless network configured to allow computers to use its connection. I then have an ethernet cable connected to my desktop for internet access.

The solution I'd like is to be able to use my devices (cell phone and tablet) to use the connection from the laptop as opposed to using the wireless connection coming from the router downstairs. Sometimes the signal is pretty weak and I believe that using the connection from the laptop would give me a stronger signal.

The tablet is an ASUS Transformer Prime and I've tried setting up a new connection using the information from an ipconfig /all on the laptop but it doesn't seem to work.

Is this possible? If so, how?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

If you are running windows 7 there is virtual router software you can run on the laptop to allow the other devices to connect to it wirelessly.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 Textbook

Textbook

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 01:33 PM

If you are running windows 7 there is virtual router software you can run on the laptop to allow the other devices to connect to it wirelessly.

This article sounds like an example of what you are referring to.

The software is called Connectify.

#4 norwood781

norwood781
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

Thank you very much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users