Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I installed the Ubuntu Operating system on my computer by mistake

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 loonyless1

loonyless1

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:18 AM

I installed the Ubuntu Operating system on my computer by mistake.

Foolish. But that's what happened.

I thought I was installing the Ubuntu that is used for storage purposes.

When I tried to restart my computer it would not restart.
I inserted the "Repair disc Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit" and eventually I got my computer to startup.

So I am still able to use my computer normally.

But my computer now seems to be totally corrupted because all drives are labeled incorrectly and Data1 and Data2 are completely missing.

I know this is true because I saw the above info while using the Repair disc Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

It seems that I am stuck with a corrupt computer.

What are my options?

Is my only option to reinstall windows 7?
Or do a backup from an Acronis image file?

What can I do?

Moderator Edit: Moved topic from Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs to the more appropriate forum
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 13 September 2012 - 11:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 589661

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

try using sfc /f

if that fails then wat i would try next is a repair install.

Run a repair install of windows 7 from a windows 7 cd. just make sure it is the same version.

#3 loonyless1

loonyless1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:27 PM

I tried using sfc /f
It didn't find any problems.

I ran a repair install of windows 7 from a windows 7 cd.
It didn't find any problems.

I tried to do a system restore to an earlier point in time.
None of the system restore options worked. All failed to restore
to an earlier point in time.

I'm lost.

What are my options?

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 15 September 2012 - 07:13 PM

But my computer now seems to be totally corrupted because all drives are labeled incorrectly and Data1 and Data2 are completely missing.

I don't quite understand this line. Windows labels drives as C:\, D:\ and so on, regardless of what drive label you may apply. For example, on my own computer I have 'Main disk(C:), Local Disk(D:). Does either Windows Explorer or Disk Manager show your hard drive(s) ? And is your data there ? If the answer to these questions is 'Yes' then carry on using your computer as it is, although you might want to make a new restore point.

If the answers are 'No', then, having tried SFC and a Windows repair you are probably looking at a complete reinstall of Win 7, but back up whatever you can of your data to an external hard drive, memory stick, DVD - whatever is appropriate for the amount of data you have.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#5 loonyless1

loonyless1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:34 PM

Hello Chris

Your reply is appreciated.

I opened Acronis and looked at the info there.
It said Data1 and Data2 were two of the drives or partitions on my computer.
That's where I got Data1 and Data2.

Does either Windows Explorer or Disk Manager show your hard drive(s) ? And is your data there ? If the answer to these questions is 'Yes' then carry on using your computer as it is, although you might want to make a new restore point.

Answer is yes.

Thanks again Chris.
Any other thoughts?

#6 loonyless1

loonyless1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

Hi everyone,

I finally got a better understanding of what is going on.

I have a custom computer with a Ultra Durable 3 Motherboard.

In order to repair my computer I have to load the 3ware drivers which in turn load the Ultra Durable 3 Motherboard.

All of my Drive and Partition corruption shows up only if I don't load the 3ware drivers.

If I load the 3ware drivers then there is no Drive or Partition corruption.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:15 AM

Glad you have solved the problem !

Not installing the motherboard drivers does result in strange things happening, I've done it myself. In general, the sequence is install the operating system ( which installs default drivers ), then the motherboard drivers, then video and sound card drivers, and then any applications you might wish to install.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users