Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has my graphics card definitely died?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stevr23

stevr23

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:58 AM

Hi guys, could really do with some help here.

Amd phenom X2 545 Ocz 400sxs psu Seagate barracuda 500gb hd Xfx hd 4850 1gb Asus M2N68 am se2

My system has recently failed and am fairly confident it's the graphics card but I am completely pc illiterate and would love some advice please.

I have been running skyrim for months now and although I can play the actual game with no problems the graphics card often crashes during the 3d loading graphics. I have to tab alt out then back in. A couple of days ago it crashed, and that's all she wrote, have been scouring sites for answers on my phone but really need some expert help. Here's a list of what I think you'll need to know but may not be everything of course.

When pc turns on I get the Asus screen then nothing at all

Get one bleep as per normal boot up.

Steady green light on mobo.

No bulging or leaking capacitors.

All fans running at normal speed.

Can feel heat coming from cpu.

When I press the power button, system shuts down instantly, no hold to turn off.

Have tried to gain access to pc from my mobile as I thought if it's the graphics card I could still access files etc, but no joy.

Here's hoping this is a simple problem and many thanks in advance for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The Warrior

The Warrior

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 AM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:59 PM

If your computer is not booting then it is a PSU problem and you need to replace it but if the computer is booting but fails to show the windows screen then something is wrong with the gpu.
A more detail information of your problem may be needed for further advice.

Hope this helps.

#3 paullson

paullson

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

This particular motherboard has On-Board VGA port. Remove your PCI-E video card and attempt to boot the system off the on-board GPU. If it boots fine then you're most likely looking at a bad video card.

#4 stevr23

stevr23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:47 AM

Thanks for the advice guys:-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users