Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Heat Sink Assembly?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 HijackThat

HijackThat

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

The Heat Sink Assembly fan is very loud from the moment I turn on the HP desktop.

1) Would replacing the Heat Sink Assembly fix the problem
-or-
2) Is it another internal message that is telling the Heat Sink Assembly to immediately run hot the second the machine is turned on.

If (2), what can I do about it?

Edited by HijackThat, 12 September 2012 - 10:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:12 PM

Hello HijackThat,

We need to gather more information.

If the CPU fan is running fast at start-up, it may be due to increased CPU temperatures. You could download, install, and run the free HWMonitor. Keep it open on your Desktop and report CPU temp and fan speeds. See how the CPU temps and fan speeds increase with computing tasks.

The fan may be defective or maybe a wire is contacting the fan blades. This would require a look inside the tower. I would advise against this if the computer is still under warranty; otherwise, have a look at the internal fans. Here is your HP Pavilion p6142p Desktop PC service manual for reference.

Regards,
Brooks

#3 HijackThat

HijackThat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2012 - 12:20 AM

Thank you so much for responding.. I apologize for the delay in my response.

Screenshot from HWMonitor/CPUID: this was taken about 10 minutes after turning on the computer. The Heat Sink Assembly fan sounds like a jet engine from the moment the computer is turned on and doesn't change sound or speed with videos or gaming or anything.

HWMonitor Screenshot
Posted Image

Do these readings look normal?

Edited by HijackThat, 28 September 2012 - 12:23 AM.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:35 AM

Can we assume that the desktop is out of warranty?

The temps are a little on the high side.

Below are my system temps. Looks like we both have the same processor.

This was taken about 10 minutes after turning on computer; mail program open, HWMonitor running, Bleeping Computer forum open. I can hear my fans but they are not racing.

Attached File  HWMonitor.jpg   71.42KB   6 downloads

Regards,
Brooks

#5 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 28 September 2012 - 07:03 AM

If you are out of warranty, open your case and make sure no wires are in contact with the fan. Immediately after startup you should not be experiencing 60c + temps with the fan running 100% the whole time.

Check all of the fans, ensure you have proper airflow through the case. In BIOS, set your fan speeds to "Auto" wherever possible.

After you have changed as many fans as possible to "Auto", please run the hardware monitor again and show us another screenshot.
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#6 HijackThat

HijackThat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:16 PM

1) I opened up the case, removed the heat sink assembly (accidently removed the CPU which was stuck to it; but was able to separate them, remove the old thermal compound, applied new thermal paste, and replaced it all into the computer), cleaned the heat sink assembly, no lose wires were seen, and I replaced the assembly back into the case.

2a) I went into BIOS, could not find any option to switch fans to 'Auto'
2b) There was only one option "Smart FAN Target," which was 'Disabled'
Smart FAN Target
40c
45c
50c
55c
60c
CPU Min. Fan Speed %
2c) I set it at '60c' and '12.5' just to see if the fan speed would reduce at all. The fan is still going 100% ~4000rpms from startup.
2d) I restarted to see if the settings would take effect: nothing. I re-checked BIOS: same settings 60:12.5

Is there anything I can do at this point to make the heat sink fan quieter??

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 12 October 2012 - 02:13 PM

Replace it, the bearings may be shot.

Louis

#8 HijackThat

HijackThat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:46 PM

Well, I replaced the whole Heat Sink Assembly with a new one, but as I feared... It seems to be running just as hard as the original Heat Sink Fan (4000+ RPMS).

Is there any other solution or way to hijack that fan and slow it down?

#9 silviaz135

silviaz135

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:00 AM

since the cpu is hot,i don't think it's good to slow it down,it will become hotter!
you sure all the fans are in the correct spot?
air dynamic is very important (pull / push)
last time i installed the system power fan to push air in the case,no matter how many fans i add,the system still overheated
once i switch it to pull air out of the case,the temp go back to normal instantly

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users