Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU/BIOS problem

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 XPabuser

XPabuser

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 PM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:32 PM

I just installed a AMD Athlon XP 3200+ into my ga-7vt600-p-l mobo and instead of running at 2.2GHz it runs at 1.11GHz (I was using an XP 1700+ which i had no problems with.)

Also, the BIOS doesnt recognise the DDR400 dram that i have. The only option in the BIOS is "133-DDR266."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:05 PM

Have you tried going into the BIOS and manually setting the clock speeds etc? It Sounds like you may need a BIOS update, even though according to their website its supposed to work with all versions, I would try downloading and installing the f8 version from here. If youve never done a BIOS update before, let us know, and I'll guide you through it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 XPabuser

XPabuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

Thanx for your help.

I havent done a BIOS update before. From what info. i have read so far i figure all i have to do go into BIOS and open the flash utility.

Is that correct?

Btw, the comp im using now is not mine. My comp is in another room so i dont think you'll be able to guide me through it. But i'd still appreciate
some help.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:28 PM

Its not difficult, but if you don't do it right, you will turn your computer into a brick. As far as other room-simply go tothis website, and print off the directions (as well as download the BIOS version you want) and follow them to the letter, and you shouldn't have any problems whatsoever.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 XPabuser

XPabuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:03 AM

I saved the bios-update file, put it on a USB-flash drive, opened up the bios, pressed F8, slected "update bios" and it then gave me the one option of finding the file

on the FLOPPY DRIVE.

I tried to use some floppy discs that i had lying around and the drive asked if i wanted the disc to be formatted. Pressed yes, it proceeded to format, and then it said it was unable to
format the disc.

So now i have to wait until tommorrow to purchase new floppy discs.

Very frustrating. But i'll let you know how it goes. Im just hoping the floppy drive doesnt need replacing.

#6 XPabuser

XPabuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:18 PM

I think i made a serious error.

I tried to load the defaults and everything just went blank.

There are two options for defaults, 1) "Load Fail-Safe Defaults" and 2) "Load Optimised Defaults."

I chose the first one and pressed enter and nothing seemed to have happened so i assumed it loaded,
i then saved and exited and thats when everything went dead. Well almost everything, the green power light
remained on as well as the red HD light but that was it.

???

#7 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

Ok, now try turning off the computer, find and remove the CMOS battery (it looks like a watch battery on the motherboard) and keep it out for 30 seconds to a minute before putting back in (make sure you ground yourself before working inside the computer) and try it then.

picard5.jpg

#8 XPabuser

XPabuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:18 PM

Yep that got things back on track.

The problem now is that in q-flash it only gives me the option of using the floppy drive.

I changed the first boot device to the first hard drive but things didnt change in q-flash.

Any ideas?

#9 XPabuser

XPabuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:09 PM

Just for the record.

I had my cpu fan and heatsink round the wrong way.

I fixed up the problem and it seemed to help a little. I was able to get into the desktop and start loading apps
but it soon died again.

Im still at it...

#10 XPabuser

XPabuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:11 PM

Oh and i forgot to mention, after i removed a jumper from the mobo it finally says "AMD (Athlon) XP 3200" in the POST!

I did notice some better performance before it died.

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:44 PM

Did you have thermal interface fluid installed properly on the die? and did you clean it off and re-apply it when you reinstalled it? In most cases, as long as theres even contact between the die, and the heatsink you shouldn't have any problem, but if there wasnt, or you didnt apply new TIM when you reinstalled, it could have caused a massive overheat, and fried the CPU-AMD doesn't have the same temperature safety measures intel does.

With that being said, when you mentioned the jumper, have you read the owners manual for the motherboard for proper CPU installation? some motherboards require special instructions (like jumpers) to install, and I suspect, you had to do more then just remove a jumper, you may have had to move it.

picard5.jpg

#12 XPabuser

XPabuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:58 AM

Did you have thermal interface fluid installed properly on the die? and did you clean it off and re-apply it when you reinstalled it? In most cases, as long as theres even contact between the die, and the heatsink you shouldn't have any problem, but if there wasnt, or you didnt apply new TIM when you reinstalled, it could have caused a massive overheat, and fried the CPU-AMD doesn't have the same temperature safety measures intel does.

With that being said, when you mentioned the jumper, have you read the owners manual for the motherboard for proper CPU installation? some motherboards require special instructions (like jumpers) to install, and I suspect, you had to do more then just remove a jumper, you may have had to move it.

Yeah the fluid was applied diligently i dont think theres a problem there.

I glased over the manual if you know what i mean, i dont remember any special instructions, and there wasnt anything about jumpers.

Do you think the PSU may have something to do with the cpu causing the comp to crash?? I mean now that the new cpu draws more power.

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:28 PM

Ive never actually seen a motherboard where you had to change a jumper to get the CPU to work, the only thing I can think of is you found the CMOS reset jumper, and removing it reset the BIOS, which allowed it to recognize the CPU. In which case I hope you returned it. If its not the CMOS, that jumper serves some purpose-I would do more then glase over your manual and go through and read it thoroughly until you know what that jumper is, and what exactly it does.

As far as the PSU is concerned, To give you a good answer to that I need a complete list of your system components, as well as the specific PSU you are using.

picard5.jpg

#14 XPabuser

XPabuser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:16 PM

My motherboard is ga-7vt600-p-(l).
PSU is a generic 550W.
I have three sticks of DDR400 512Mb PC3200 RAM.

The jumper isnt to do with resetting cmos, thats a different component on the mobo.

When the jumper is on the host frequency is always 100Mhz. When it is removed there are more options.

Something i dont think i mentioned before is that when the comp crashes it does so whilst producing
a number of beeps.

There are 6 long beeps. Now according to the manual it should be a DRAM problem but i have used the
different memory sticks in different combinations with the three DIMM slots and still the crashing occurs.

The were two things that i noticed though. If the computer is left alone for a while it will take longer for it to crash
when i have truned it on again and i am able to get into windows and even start an app before it finally crashes.
If i turn it on again straight after it takes less time to crash so that it never goes far
enough to go into Windows.

Also, with one of the memory stick/dimm slot combinations i found there was an incorrect DRAM reading in the POST.
Instead of saying 1Gb it said 5.2Mb.

#15 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

so-have you found exactly what that jumper does? that might be a very important piece of information. if 6 beeps means memory error, that doesnt necessarily mean bad memory-it could be a bad memory config in the BIOS, it could be incorrect BIOS settings, it could be incompatible memory (just because its DDR doesnt necessarily mean its compatible) it could also be a bad memory slot or memory controller on the motherboard.

As far as PSUs, generic ones usually are not all that fantastic, with that being said a 3200 shouldnt pull that much more power then the 1700. Lets run with the memory and that jumper first-find out exactly what that jumper controls. And what exact memory are you using? Brand, voltage, timings to be specific

picard5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users