Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best way to build site?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 PCDevil

PCDevil

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

Hi. I had some ideas for a website, but I'm unsure what to do as far as getting the site up and running. I know HTML/CSS and have edited Javascript before, but my ideas are more complicated than what I've done before and I know it will take more than just HTML.

I don't want to say at this point exactly what the site is, but I want to be able to do the following:

1. Have members each with their own profile that is viewable by others

This profile would need to show content they had uploaded to the site and perhaps have a few optional editable features that the member can change.

2. Allow members to submit content and allow them control over it (e.g. edit and delete functions)

I would need a text editor of some sort with form/menu options and the ability for them to edit/delete what they submit.

3. A rating system for members on the content submitted

4. For the rating system to be linked with a payment system

The rating system would be just a few options and would need to display what the average rating was. It would also have to be a members only feature. However, for each rating the member would get money. I would need a system that works out what the member has made and displays the balance to them as well as allows them to cash out through PayPal when the money has built up to a certain amount.

The payment system would not involve any buying, selling or customers.

5. A feature that finds all the latest submissions and shows them in one place

Where can I find these features? Or how easy would it be to create these features?

I know some sites (e.g. Wordpress)have plugins, but it would be helpful if you could list the site and the name of the plugins if you know them because having looked at Wordpress earlier I can see there's hundreds and I didn't know where to start.

Any help would be great and sorry if this is slightly confusing. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:36 PM

You would need to develop this type of web site using a language such as PHP, ASP, Java. Your best bet is PHP imho.

As to how easy it would be depends on how fast you can pick up the programming skills.

#3 PCDevil

PCDevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

You would need to develop this type of web site using a language such as PHP, ASP, Java. Your best bet is PHP imho.

As to how easy it would be depends on how fast you can pick up the programming skills.

Well I can learn software really fast and it didn't take me long to learn html. But with PHP programming, I guess it depends. Might learn the basics ok, but I'm guessing what I want to do is far more complicated? I've been told there's existing scripts that I could edit/adapt for PayPal payment systems and rating systems, but having never used scripts like that before I don't know that I could just go in and adapt them for how I want.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:24 PM

Yes, you can probably find scripts, but there is no way they are going to work the way you want to unless you learn the language they are programmed in. If you are unable to hire someone to write the code for you, then the only suggestion I have is to learn PHP and then focus on what modules you can find already made and incorporate it into your site.

PHP is fairly easy to use and almost all web hosting companies support it.

#5 PCDevil

PCDevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:27 PM

Yes, you can probably find scripts, but there is no way they are going to work the way you want to unless you learn the language they are programmed in. If you are unable to hire someone to write the code for you, then the only suggestion I have is to learn PHP and then focus on what modules you can find already made and incorporate it into your site.

PHP is fairly easy to use and almost all web hosting companies support it.

Thanks. I will start learning PHP then.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:38 PM

Feel free to ask any question in the programming section. We have quite a few php programmers who frequent the site, including myself.

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:18 AM

There is no source where you can go and tick some check boxes and get a ready made website that perfectly accommodates your needs. You can use something like Joomla or Drupal to do the heavy work for you, but you are still going to have to take time to learn those platforms. And then you are still going to have to manually tweak things so they all work like you want.

What you are trying to do is basically create a forum, and that takes many many many months of development and bug testing. You could look into free forum software (just do a search). I think that would get you most of the way.

#8 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:50 PM

My suggestion is to pick up a book or check a local college out for one of those short classes on the subject. :) I've taken a few of these ed2go ones that my local college is registered with on Visual Basic and other languages to get me started. For around $100 you'll get a few online lessons for 6 weeks and a certificate of completion. :) I have a few more I'm planing to take including php. :)

Edited by DarkSnake-Kobra, 14 September 2012 - 07:52 PM.

#9 PCDevil

PCDevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:25 PM

There is no source where you can go and tick some check boxes and get a ready made website that perfectly accommodates your needs. You can use something like Joomla or Drupal to do the heavy work for you, but you are still going to have to take time to learn those platforms. And then you are still going to have to manually tweak things so they all work like you want.

What you are trying to do is basically create a forum, and that takes many many many months of development and bug testing. You could look into free forum software (just do a search). I think that would get you most of the way.

I wasn't expecting to tick a box, I was just hoping for some pre-coded stuff I could copy into my site design or features I could add in a type of drag and drop way (e.g. like on weebly or freewebs). I'm happy to learn and/or edit coding.

I'm not sure using a forum idea would allow me to create what I want. There's not many forum type features I want. I think perhaps a comments feature would be more along the right lines.

#10 PCDevil

PCDevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

My suggestion is to pick up a book or check a local college out for one of those short classes on the subject. :) I've taken a few of these ed2go ones that my local college is registered with on Visual Basic and other languages to get me started. For around $100 you'll get a few online lessons for 6 weeks and a certificate of completion. :) I have a few more I'm planing to take including php. :)

Thanks. I wish I could. My local college has nothing. I can't afford to pay for any courses but there's plenty of information online for coding languages without paying for an online course so I'll look that up :)

#11 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

You're welcome. :) Take a look at CodeAcademy I just started that a couple weeks ago and love it. :)

#12 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:39 AM

Like has already been said, you won't be able to just copy/paste the code into a page and *poof* it works. Unless it is completely self-contained, you'll have to do a lot of tweaking and customizing to make it work the way you want to.

What I would recommend is learning the language, and writing the site yourself. There's a great sense of satisfaction and accomplishment knowing you did it yourself :)

Edit: Unless you plan on doing a forum-style website. Use an open-source like phpBB or MyBB and build around it. A forum is a big project to code by yourself at any level, especially as a beginner.

Aside from that, once you write a script yourself, you know how it works and you are free to transpose it to another page without starting from scratch. I have several pre-structured PHP scripts saved so all I have to do is paste the structure and edit the details.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Edited by MDTechService, 28 October 2012 - 05:41 AM.

If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#13 PCDevil

PCDevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:24 PM

Thanks for all the advice :)

#14 PCDevil

PCDevil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:29 PM

Like has already been said, you won't be able to just copy/paste the code into a page and *poof* it works. Unless it is completely self-contained, you'll have to do a lot of tweaking and customizing to make it work the way you want to.

What I would recommend is learning the language, and writing the site yourself. There's a great sense of satisfaction and accomplishment knowing you did it yourself :)

Edit: Unless you plan on doing a forum-style website. Use an open-source like phpBB or MyBB and build around it. A forum is a big project to code by yourself at any level, especially as a beginner.

Aside from that, once you write a script yourself, you know how it works and you are free to transpose it to another page without starting from scratch. I have several pre-structured PHP scripts saved so all I have to do is paste the structure and edit the details.

Good luck :thumbsup:

I'm happy to learn it and I do really want to be able to do the whole site myself. However, I think my best option will be to find out the cost of someone else building it and going from there due to the time it will take me to learn the language. I want the site up and running sooner rather than later. But learning the language would allow me to maintain the site myself :)

The site wouldn't be forum-style, but it would include a forum.

Thanks B)

#15 diggi

diggi

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:52 PM

I think you are looking for drupal check it out @ www.drupal.org

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users