Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Reinstallation

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 selahlee

selahlee

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:49 PM

I had to replace my hard drive - I have my reinstallation DVD disc for Windows XP Media but nothing happens............am I forgetting something.... I am pretty much computer "dumb"! Thank you for any help you can offer...................

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:58 PM

I don't know what "nothing happens" means.

Does the system boot to the cd? If not, go into the bios and change the boot order so the cd drive is the first device.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

You may need to set the BIOS to boot from the DVD drive first and the hard drive as second.

The other option is to see if there is a boot device menu that can be accessed.

In Dell and Several other brands that option is F12
In Compaq and HP often that is the ESC key
As ASUS motherboard is usually F8

All of these are when the Company logo appears.

What is the Make & Model

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 selahlee

selahlee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 01:24 PM

It is a Dell Dimension 9100 with Windows XP. It does not load or boot the operating system.......... When I press F12 - it tells me that it cannot find the floppy drive..........I don't have a floppy drive. Should I just give up and find a computer store? We live in a farming community without ready access to computer smart people.................

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

selahlee,

This is your computer documentation for using the setup utility: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim9100/en/SM/syssetup.htm#wp1043338

Enter setup:
  • Turn on (or restart) your computer.
  • When the blue DELL™ logo is displayed, you must watch for the F2 prompt to appear.
  • Once this F2 prompt appears, press <F2> immediately.
  • When setup loads, under System, arrow down to Boot Sequence and press <Enter> to expand the category.
  • Make the CD/DVDROM first in the boot order and be sure to save changes before exiting.
  • Reboot the computer with the DVD in the drive and watch for "press any key to start" message.

Another thought:
When you replaced the hard drive did you make sure that the data cable was attached to both the hard drive and the motherboard and that the power cable was firmly attached to the new hard drive? Same for the CD/DVDROM? Sometimes cable are inadvertently loosened or forgotten when working inside the tower.

Regards,
Brooks

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:03 PM

What makes you think that your hard drive needed replacement?

How do you know...that it was "the problem" that needed correction?

Did you run the Dell Diagnostics package?

Try F2 to enter the BIOS and change the boot settings, please.

Louis

#7 TriggerJinxed

TriggerJinxed

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:15 PM

Also, are you sure your Dell has a DVD drive? In this link provided by Artrooks, it mentions a CD-RW drive. I get a lot of older machines that leave their users wondering why they can't install the latest and greatest software, and it's because they're trying to install a DVD to a CD ROM drive.
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. ~Stephen Hawking

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:17 PM

Hi, Are the date and time correct when you go into setup?

From the fact that it says it can't find the floppy drive it sounds to me as if the battery, a CR-2032 has gone bad.

If the date is off replace the battery, set the date and time and then turn off the floppy drive in setup inside of the drives section.
Artrooks has kindly placed a link to the Dell documentation on how to do that.

Why are you trying to reload? It is possible that a bad battery can cause a non boot.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 12 September 2012 - 03:40 PM.
Spelling and Additional content

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:27 PM

<<Should I just give up and find a computer store? We live in a farming community without ready access to computer smart people.>>

Well...that's for you to decide. It's not easy trying to help a user whose system we cannot see...a lot of questions have to be asked and, hopefully, some answers given. OTOH, it's often easier for many to throw money at solving problems that they don't want to bother with...there's no guarantee that they will get their money's worth, that's the only problem with such.

We're cheap, trying to be helpful...but we need your cooperation.

I certainly think that it's wiser to try to help us to help you...rather than throw your hands up in the air and say "It's too complicated for me."

But...I've been wrong before so I won't force my opinion on you as something worthwhile :).

Louis

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

Guys, this is someone with limited computer knowledge. Since his or her last post there have been 5 posts by 4 other members -- enough to confuse me, and I have a more than passing familiarity with computers. Lots of cooks guys. Lots of cooks :)

May I suggest we wait for the OP to respond at this point?

#11 selahlee

selahlee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:26 PM

Thank you............one and all! I so appreciate all of the efforts you are extending... Wow, I wish I had one tenth of your knowledge........ #1 - I don't give up easily......but rather than possibly causing more damage to a $3200.00 computer I thought perhaps I should let wisdom dictate and seek someone who could "see" and "hands on" inspect the "Power Tower"!
O.K. - After a tremendous lightning strike that took out our telephone protectors..........I turned my computer on..........the hard drive made a "clunking" noise........never did that before!.........it would not boot up at all............screen totally black......we contacted a friend of my husbands and she said that if it made a clunking noise the hard drive needed to be replaced............... on her advice we replaced the hard drive..........thinking all along it wouldn't be a big deal to put the reinstallation disk in the computer and download the operating system........... and that's when the second part of this nightmare started...........
So now I will start by checking to see if the drive is correctly connected and make certain the DVD drive is the first to boot and I will get back to you, however, possibly not this evening.............. My brain hurts........... Again, thank you.........God Bless your evening!

#12 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:49 PM

For future reference, these are the kind of details we need to know and you should have put in your first post. No big deal at this point - as I say, it's for future reference.

The fact that your problems began immediately after a lightning strike / power surge means the problem could be pretty much anything from a bad hard drive to power supply to something damaged on the motherboard - or something else entirely. We will keep working with you, but it may not be easy to solve.

#13 selahlee

selahlee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:23 PM

Thank you! I am sorry to say that my husband has taken the problem out of my hands and is giving the computer to his friend.... He paid for it so it is his call............ Again, thank you all for your assistance.....

Just a note: I think it is awesome that this website exists......... thank you all for all that you do for people.

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,575 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:35 PM

You're very welcome. Feel free to stop back again.

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

Good Luck and Thank You for the kind Words. It would be nice if you were to report back what was the final resolution after the friend works on it.

Thanks
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 13 September 2012 - 03:45 PM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users