Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

how to repair xp pro with hard drive as external drive

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mrwright0514

mrwright0514

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:57 AM

I have a HP system that has crashed. I have a new hard drive that I installed but want to repair my old hard drive and or bring all programs and files over to the new hard drive. My main user account is not letting me access now while plugged in as drive G. I can access all other accounts on the hard drive but the one I NEED is not allowing me. Says access denied. Computer was part of a network but is now just a stand alone.

How can I repair the old drive to use again
Or how can I pull over all of my files and programs to the new drive.

As a reminder both drives are connected to the same laptop which is HP 6730s
drive C is the new hard drive and
drive G in the old hard drive

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,734 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

The only way to move installed programs from one hard drive to another...is to create a partition or drive image that transfers the contents (all) from Drive 1 to Drive 2.

Some "backups" do this also, rather than needing Windows and the installed program...in order to restore in part or fully.

The problem that I see...is that you only have 1 computer and...it's a laptop.

Let's await other inputs.

Louis

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

I have a HP system that has crashed.

what were the symptoms of the crash, after the crash did you try to run "chckdsk /r "on the drive to attempt a repair .

Edited by caperjac, 12 September 2012 - 06:00 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users