Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dekstop Computer will not power on?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 computerfunguy

computerfunguy

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

Hello. I am having a major problem and maybe someone can help me out or give me some advice. :)
I have a desktop computer here. I am trying to fix a Dell studio xps desktop computer. he told me he was trying to burn some pics to a dvd disk. in the middle of it, his computer crashed and shut off. NOW it will not power back on at all. I used a paper clip to open the tray and retrieve the disk and it still will not power on. When plugged in the the little green light by the power cord in the back of the desktop lights up and even a couple of lights on the motherboard lights up but when i press the power button, nothing. EXCEPT, both fans in the computer start to rotate about one turn and then they stop. So obviously it is trying to power on and just cant?
I have ran into this before and usually once the disk is removed it ends the task that locked it up and it powers back on. But not this time. I made sure everything was connected properly, still with no luck. could it be the psu? and if it turns out that its not the psu or ram, what could it be? Whats should i do? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by computerfunguy, 12 September 2012 - 12:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:16 PM

My first guess would be PSU...but I would confirm that by trying to run the Dell Diagnostics package.

Dell Diagnostics - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=A9E3A15597A04AFBB02EE16785D39C5C&doclang=en&cs=

Louis

#3 computerfunguy

computerfunguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

How am i supposed to run a diagnostics test when the computer will not even turn on at all?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:49 PM

Remove the PSU...try a different PSU in the system.

IMO, the fact that your fans don't spin points to the PSU or the motherboard. The PSU is simpler/cheaper to check out.

If a different PSU powers the system up...run the Dell Diagnostics.

Louis

#5 computerfunguy

computerfunguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

thanks. gonna try it now. let you know. appreciate it! :)

#6 The Warrior

The Warrior

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:43 PM

The problem here is with PSU so replace it.

Hope this helps.

#7 computerfunguy

computerfunguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

thanks everyone. Replace PSU and worked like a charm. thanks!

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:59 AM

Glad you resolved it, thanks for letting us know...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users