Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't boot up - is this the right forum?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 CaryHM

CaryHM

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:00 AM

My laptop won't boot up, and the startup repair doesn't seem to do anything. The first time I ran it, it said it couldn't repair it. The second time, it ran for a couple hours, until I finally just turned it off. I would rather not system restore because it would affect several programs, but I even tried that and it said it couldn't find the backup drive. What should I do? Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

1) EXACTLY what happens when you try to boot?

2) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#3 CaryHM

CaryHM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

When I boot up, the black screen comes up saying "Windows Error Recovery" and gives me the option of 1. Launch Startup Repair (recommended) or 2. Start Windows Normally. If I choose to start normally, nothing happens. The screen stays black even though the "on" light of the laptop is lit up. If I go to Launch Startup Repair, it just keeps scanning saying "finding errors" then "attempting to repair errors" but nothing has ever come after that. The last time I let it run that was last night and I fell asleep after an hour or an hour and a half. I think it was about two or so hours that it was running when I woke back up (couldn't see the clock) and just turned it off since I wasn't sure if it was doing more harm than good. As I mentioned above, it can't even find the one restore point I've created. I've not had the computer long.

Nothing new that I know of except I'm afraid I hadn't properly rebooted in a few days. I had left it on hibernate off and on and hadn't fully rebooted. I know Avast and Super Anti Spyware update frequently so there's that, but that's normal and hasn't affected it before. A couple days ago, I had plugged in a floppy drive temporarily but even after disconnected, it worked fine for a few days. No errors or computer messages, but I noticed last night my Firefox was just acting weird. I had some old tabs opened but it was acting like I couldn't select or open them. That's when I tried to reboot. I couldn't. It wouldn't respond at all. I finally had to unplug it and remove the battery.

Thanks.

#4 CaryHM

CaryHM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

Well now when I choose the Startup Repair, nothing happens either. It looks like it might do something, then goes to a black screen.

#5 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

Hi CaryHM,

Can you get to the Advanced Boot Options Menu?

• Turn on the laptop and start to tap the F8 key when you see the Asus logo.
  • If the Advanced Boot Options Menu appears, is there a "Repair Your Computer" Option?
  • Try Last Known good configuration, press <Enter>, then reboot.

Did the computer come with any installation DVDs or did you, per chance, ever create a Windows 7 Repair Disk?

Regards,
Brooks

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:34 PM

If the above suggestions don't work, let's check your hd:

Hard Drive Diagnostics:
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=28744&hl=hard+drive+diagnostic)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), to make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

#7 CaryHM

CaryHM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

Artrooks: Yes, I can get there and it does have the Repair Your Computer option. Is that the same as Startup Repair?
I tried the Last known good configuration and hit enter, it went to the black screen again. As far as backups, my laptop supposedly has
a "separate drive" or something to back up itself to. I think I did that. I know I did a Macrium Reflect and a EaseUS copy/clone but I
don't really know if I did it right or which one worked best or what. I didn't have any idea what I was doing and just followed the
instructions.

Allan: I'm not sure which tool I should use for my Asus. I looked at the other bleepingcomputer site where it mentioned some of who made
what but I didn't see Asus listed. Whenever I figure it out, would this bootable CD be better than what I've already made? And would it erase
my present files on there? (I last made my CD's about a month ago).

Edited by CaryHM, 12 September 2012 - 03:34 PM.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,589 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:19 PM

No, nothing will be deleted. The bootable disc is going to check your hard drive, that's all.

#9 CaryHM

CaryHM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

Ok, I'm not progressing . . . if Asus makes Asus computers then which one of these should I use? Does it matter? I assume so but can't decide/decipher which one to download? I hope I'm making sense.

#10 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

At this time we do not know the brand of the hard drive that is in your computer, so it is reasonable to use Seagates's SeaTools for DOS.

Test the hard drive.

It is best to use the hard drive manufacturer's own diagnostic utility, but Seagate's tool will work OK on most brands. The diagnostic tool is run from a bootable CD (Windows does not need to be working. The first two steps are done on a working computer, while the third step is to boot the ailing computer with the CD that you create in the first two steps.)

:step1: Please download SeaTools for DOS (CD) from Seagate's SeaTools for DOS web page

or use the following direct download link to download the latest version of SeaTools for DOS:
Download SeaTools for DOS ISO Image

The downloaded file name is SeaToolsDOS223ALL.ISO
[/list]
:step2: Burn the downloaded .ISO image to a CD using the appropriate burning software.
  • If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
    • Download and install ImgBurn.
      Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
    • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
    • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.

:step3: Boot from the CD.
  • (You may need to access the BIOS Setup Menu or the Boot Menu and change the boot order to enable booting from CD before hard drive.)
  • From Basic tests on the Main Menu, run the Short test and then the Long test.

(The long test will take some considerable time to complete.)
    The results will be shown as either a PASS or FAIL.
    There is a chance that during the Long test, you may be offered the opportunity to attempt repairs on the hard drive:
  • If so, go ahead and attempt to do so, but ONLY after backing up all important personal files.
[/list]Note: You may wish to view the following ...
Please let us know the results of the tests.

When you can, include the make and model number of the problematic hard drive. If you do choose to use SeaTools, you will see the model number (and maybe the make) when SeaTools first detects the hard drive.
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#11 CaryHM

CaryHM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:17 PM

Ok, I downloaded it and made a bootable disk, then accessed the BIOS to make it boot from the disk. (By the way, found out it hard disk is by Hitachi). When SeaTools for DOS is loaded, most everything is grayed out. It has a Selected Drive Information box and says "No Hard Drives Found. If you believe this to be incorrect, check cables, drve power connection and jumper settings. And then try again." For the Test Information and Results it says "Scanning for controllers... No controllers detected. Device scan complete."

#12 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:26 PM

In that case, perhaps the easiest thing to do might be to try the Hitachi tool ...
  • There have been some cases reported where it is necessary to change the HDD mode in BIOS to get SeaTools for DOS to detect a hard drive.
Hitachi: Test the hard drive with the manufacturer's diagnostic utility.

Download the Drive Fitness Test, CD image from Hitachi's Downloads page.
http://www.hitachigst.com/support/downloads/#DFT

If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
    Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image

When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
Boot from the CD:
  • Run the Quick/Short test and then the Extended/Long test.
Please post the results.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#13 CaryHM

CaryHM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

LOL I'm so clueless. I made the bootable CD, but it asks which of these to choose from? I don't even understand the question.
Do I choose 1. for Adaptec 2. for LSI 320 Controller 3. for Tekram and Symbios Controllers 4. for ATTO 320 Controller ? Thanks

Edited by CaryHM, 12 September 2012 - 11:34 PM.

#14 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:22 AM

I am currently downloading the manual for your model computer to see if I can figure out a logical answer ... instead of try any one? ... or get another alternative solution. While this is completing, please tell me how you determined the brand of HDD. Did you see it reported in BIOS when you were in there? Did you open the open the HDD compartment of the laptop to view the HDD?
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#15 CaryHM

CaryHM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:31 AM

When it first boots up with the disk, it asks: 1. SCSI and ATA support or 2. ATA support only. I picked #1 since it had both....just guessing. Then comes the question about the four. Honestly, I tried all four but with each I got a Device list that was empty. So, then it asks is this device list correct (of course on each of the four). If I click No, it asks Is the defective or missing drive a SCSI or ATA/IDE drive? I assume it's ATA drive if I'm reading my info correctly but I don't know which of these four avenues to pursue any further.

Yea, in BIOS I saw it said it was a Hitachi. I didn't open anything manually on the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users