Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer no longer recognizes printer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ravenag

ravenag

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:15 PM

I am running XP and have a Ricoh 1515MF printer. Two weeks ago the pc stopped communicating with the printer. The only thing going on at the time… I was using a laptop (no printing) that I connected to my wireless, didn’t use it the next day but printed from my pc… worked fine. I used the laptop the following day (no printing) and after that the printer wouldn’t work. I did restore to the day before I used the laptop and it worked for a XP test page. Thought it was fixed and tried to print the following day… no prints. I’m not sure if it is an issue with the wireless network… just giving the history. The network connection used to have my wireless network icon visible, but it is no longer visible yet works for other pcs in the house and I’m still able to get onto the internet.

I have tried completely uninstalling the printer, completely uninstalling the driver, reinstalling both, the cord works fine on my scanner, printer test page prints fine, IP address is in the printer, ran Rkill, Spybot and Malware in safe mode and regular mode… no issues found. Plug and play is not detecting the printer, turned off everything, unplugged everything, no change. I tried system restore to an earlier date and that didn’t work either. Can't print from other pc in the house. Checked the port it is connected to (usb001) and it appears ok.

I’m completely at a loss. I can usually find solutions to pc issues online from searching forums, but I just can’t figure this out. Any help is appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:23 AM

What is the printer hooked up to the network or the desktop??? How is connected via USB or Ethernet??? What will not print the desktop??? The laptop?? Both???
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#3 ravenag

ravenag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:22 PM

The printer is hooked up to the pc via USB cord. I have a home network set up. Our other desktop could print through the home network via my pc. I can't print from the other pc now either.
It's my desktop pc that won't print to the printer. I never configured the laptop to the printer (just mentioned the laptop to describe when the problem started... not sure if it is related to the problem or not).

#4 ravenag

ravenag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:28 PM

Another thing I tried is to uninstall the 2 USB ROOT HUBS and rebooted to see if plug and play would detect the printer. It detected the keyboard and mouse, but not the printer. I also tried plugging in the cord to all the other USBs but the printer still wasn't detected.

#5 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

It could possibly be a problem with the usb port on the printer. If there is a selection to restore fatory defaults I would do that first. If not I would consider attaching the printer to the network to see if a connection can be made that way
Mark Twain

#6 ravenag

ravenag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:50 PM

Thanks Baltboy... I'm actually trying that now. I moved the printer to my other pc to see if it would autodetect on it and it didn't. Kind of thought the port may not be working right (even took it out and put it back in yesterday to see if that worked). So... after a trip to the store to get the cord, I now have the printer connected directly to my router. I'm pretty sure I have the printer configured right and now I'm searching to figure out how to get it to show up on my home network.

#7 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

you will have to change the port over to a standard tcp/ip port in the printer properties. That should do it but sometimes there is software that you will need to run that came with the printer in order to get it to function properly on the network.
Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users