Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 corrupt files

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Evil Genius23

Evil Genius23

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:47 PM

Hello

I have a HP Pavilion Enertainment PC VC034AV. I was using my computer trying to print something when it froze. I shut the computer off and now it cannot start up. The computer begins to start up, then goes to a self diagnostic and trys to fix itself, each time failing. My wife was able to find out the two files from the OS are corrupted. Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note, I will not be able to respond right away, as I don't have another computer nearby and have to go to the library to check these messages. It might take a day or so for any responses.

Evil Genius23

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jake gardner

jake gardner

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:05 PM

Try clicking F8 key while it is booting see if you can boot to safe mode.
From there you can do a system restore to get your old settings back.
You can try windows startup repair that will be on the install disk for windows or maybe on a seperate boot partition called startup repair

#3 luke127

luke127

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:03 AM

If the OS is corrupt I doubt safe mode will help. Either you do a clean install or you do a repair install to replace the corrupt files.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:25 AM

<<My wife was able to find out the two files from the OS are corrupted.>>

How did that happen? What are the filenames of the files which are reported as corrupt?

If they are system files...you could try running sfc /scannow.

SFC -SCANNOW Run in Command Prompt at Boot - Windows 7 Forums - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139810-sfc-scannow-run-command-prompt-boot.html

SFC -SCANNOW Command - System File Checker - Windows 7 Forums - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

SFC scannow, Win 7 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Louis

#5 luke127

luke127

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:25 PM

<<My wife was able to find out the two files from the OS are corrupted.>>

How did that happen? What are the filenames of the files which are reported as corrupt?

If they are system files...you could try running sfc /scannow.

SFC -SCANNOW Run in Command Prompt at Boot - Windows 7 Forums - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139810-sfc-scannow-run-command-prompt-boot.html

SFC -SCANNOW Command - System File Checker - Windows 7 Forums - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

SFC scannow, Win 7 - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Louis

That would work! Except that he needs the command line to execute the command. Of course he could try booting into safe mode with command prompt and see what happens.

#6 Evil Genius23

Evil Genius23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:31 PM

I have attempted to run the Scannow file. Since I am unable to give you screenshots, I will have to type everything out. If at all possible I would not like to lose all the info on my cpu now, so if that can be avoided it would be great.

I was visiting with my wife in CO. I am not sure how she was able to get that message to try to duplicate it and she is not able to assist with this anymore as I am now in KS.

I have tried the following commands and the response is Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.

sfc / scannow /offboot dir=f:\ /offwindir=f:\windows
sfc / scannow /offboot dir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows

When I run sfc /scannow, it gives a description of the commands and ends with the following

sfc / scannow
sfc /verifyfile=c:\windows\system32/kerne132.dll
sfc /scanfile=d:\windows\system32/kerne132.dll /offbootdir=d\ /offwindir=d:\windows
sfc /verifyonly

After this, it returns me to the command prompt.

I have now restarted and have the computer in front of me. The first loading screen is the normal Microsoft windows loading screen. It is then followed by a more DOS-like version and then returns to the blue loading screen. A black box flashes and then it goes into the Startup Repair and goes into the HP Recovery Manager. I have run the partition the windows partion & Recovery partitions and a black box pops up and disappears immediately.

When I use the system restore it only gives me the following:
9/4/2012 Windows Update Critical Update
8/28/2012 Automatic restore Point System
8/4/2012 Installed IBM Lotus Forms Viewer3.5.1 Install

Any further suggestions?

#7 Evil Genius23

Evil Genius23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:32 PM

When I try the restore from the automatic restore point, this fails too.

#8 luke127

luke127

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2012 - 01:52 AM

Okay so system restore may be affected. Looks like a re install is your best shot. Just back up the program files and the program files (X86) folders so that you can re install all your programs :)

#9 Evil Genius23

Evil Genius23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:25 PM

Hello,

I think my computer is really screwed now. When I boot it up, it is showing the windows boot manager and is asking for the windows installation disc and restarting my computer. I then tells me to select"repair my computer." At the near bottom of the screen it states the boot selection failed because a required devise is inaccessable. This raises a couple of questions.

1. Will I be able to boot from the disk as a remote operating system to get to my desktop?
2. Will this erase all information and programs currently stored on this computer?

I have recieved the system restore disks from HP.

Thank you.

#10 master131

master131

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:05 AM

1. No, pretty sure those disks won't allow you to do that.
2. Yes, I'm pretty sure that those "System Restore" disks from HP will perform a factory reset causing all files to be erased.

If you don't want to do that, back up your files using a bootable OS like Ubuntu from a USB. You can find a guide here. Alternatively, you can try to perform a Repair Install which is outlined here. This will not delete any of your personal files and will re-install all the core Windows files. I've done it before and it's worked for me. The only catch is that you'll need a copy of Windows 7 and not the HP disk. The link tells you where you can grab a copy of the ISO anyway.

Edited by master131, 03 October 2012 - 09:06 AM.

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:12 PM

One thought.

One cause of the problems you are having could be a bad hard drive.

Go into Repair again. The same place you ran the SFC command. At the command prompt type chkdsk c: /r followed by chkdsk d: /r and then chkdsk e: /r
One of those three drive letters should be the Windows drive. In repair at the command prompt the letters may be different than they were in windows. That is why I suggest doing all three. In summary that means run the chkdsk command and do a surface scan. The chkdsk command will check for errors on the drive letter.

Please report back with any details if any of those report fixing things. It wouldn't hurt if they do report fixing things to foloow up with a chkdsk X: /f where X: is the drive letter that reported a fix. I have seen cases where it took more than one iteration of chkdsk.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#12 Evil Genius23

Evil Genius23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:16 PM

Hello and thanks for the responses. I will have to find a computer in which I can download the bootable OS. I will try this method.

Roger, I would have to request guidance on getting back to the command prompt, because that is no longer an option. I am unable to get to that far anymore. I am getting the screen stated above almost immediately as soon as power is turned on. I do know when I ran all checks before, they all came back good, but I suppose things can change.

I will keep you posted when I can get at least Master131's response attempted.

Edited by Evil Genius23, 03 October 2012 - 06:17 PM.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

To test the hard drive Turn on the Computer, When the HP logo press the key for the BIOS Setup. Usually F10, It should say on the screen. Then see if there is a Diagnostics for teh hard drive area. It is also possible that you computer is new enough to have a F key you press for diagnostics. If so it will display on the screen when the HP logo appears.

If the first suggestion does not work then you can follow this simple guide by Broni

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
For Toshiba hard drives, see here: http://sdd.toshiba.com/main.aspx?Path=ServicesSupport/FujitsuDrivesUSandCanada/SoftwareUtilities#diagnostic

Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users