Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up diskless cluster

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Saik0

Saik0

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:37 PM

Hi Ya'll,

I'm currently tasked with an overhaul of the IT system at my work. Was wondering if having a diskless system is a good alternative than having each system run independent. The work is just average clerical work, and a POS system that I currently have backing up to a local NAS every hour.

What I want to implement is a giant PXE server in the main office that will allow each workstation to do a network boot from. Currently I have ordered the server, network cards, CAT6e cables, and the port switch. Our office only has 10 computers so it's not really going to be that big.

What I was wondering is it possible to just image their current operating system, data and files. Then just remove the HDD from the system and have them use the image of their OS on the PXE server. Then as they grow accustomed to the system I can upgrade everyone to Windows 7.

Please let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users