Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Account Group Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 AM

Posted 15 March 2006 - 03:37 PM

Hello everyone,

I had to reformat the HDD as we had a virus and since I dont believe in wasting time trying to chase them all over the registry and other areas of windows, I just reformat. So I had a perfectly clean system and literally a week after or less, Windows started playing up with the administrator and user accounts..first it didnt display any other user than Administrator then, after frowning I ran the control userpasswords2 command and it refused me entry even if I hit enter for Administrator access as i hadnt allocated a pwd for it..so I tried to access as me and entered my password and it kept saying that I wasnt in that user group for administrators.

I decided to log off and to my horror none of the users appeared on the welcome screen and I couldnt ctrl alt del to access either..i restarted and all was the same...I had down
loaded a movie a few days ago (no..not one of them kind...I never trusted them..it was a pink floyd live at pompeii divx file about 700MB)..so since i had a virus before I guessed it could have been from the movie (i got it from limewire)..so I reformatted again to make sure..

The problem is that now even with the system clean, Windows wont let me allocate a user to another group, and states that the group (Standard or power user could not be found)....Its not ultra important but I'd like to know why i cant move users from one group to another...I'm not keen on playing too much but I'd like to get to grips with this part of the system.

any advice?

Thanks so much
Darren

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:13 PM

You have had your share of problems lately! Keep your chin up!

When you reformatted did you use killdisk? It might help if you did. Also be careful of putting your data back on this machine as you say, the infections could be coming from that.
~~~~~~~~~

You can run Killdisk to delete everything including any infections. This is a free progam and can be downloaded HERE. Put the program on a floppy disk or a CD.

Then run a DOS disk, such as a Windows 98 start up disk, when the computer boots to DOS, type "C:" (without the quotes), push ENTER. Then type "fdisk" (without the quotes), push ENTER, then just push ENTER at each selection that you are prompted to make (in other words, just accept all defaults). You can download what you need HERE.

Then reboot with your XP CD in the cd drive and reinstall Windows.

Be careful about reinstalling your data as it may contain a virus or other malware.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:01 PM

Dear Albert,

Thanks for the tip..I actually re-installed by booting up with the OEM cd, deleting the partition and going from there. My fiancee starts getting upset as she needs the mls so I can only bring the system down of a night so its ready in the morning.

Is it bad for the hard drive to keep re-formatting due to wear and tear?...I didnt think I had to use the fdisk command if I done it from the cd and wonder if I use the killdisk program, whether it will wipe my cd-rom drive settings..I bought the computer without a floppy thinking that I wouldn't need it with CDRW technology but....I was wrong....can infections still survive a partition format?..I formatted with NTFS full rather than quick in the options section..I hope there are no infections on here still...should I do it again and use the killdisk facility...and can I burn that to a bootable iso file for CD as an alternative to a floppy?

Thanks for your insight..indispensible as always..:-)

Darren

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:13 PM

Lots of questions. Let's see....

I didnt think I had to use the fdisk command if I done it from the cd

If you are referring to using Killdisk from the CD, the answer is "I Don't Know" as I have always used Killdisk from a floppy.

whether it will wipe my cd-rom drive settings

Not sure what that means.

can infections still survive a partition format?

Absolutely, this is why I recommended a different way.

can I burn that to a bootable iso file for CD as an alternative to a floppy?

Follow the Killdisk link in my post above and you can see that there are different downloads to fit every need.

Is it bad for the hard drive to keep re-formatting due to wear and tear?...

I've never heard of that.

I can only bring the system down of a night so its ready in the morning.

Depending on the size of your hard drive, Killdisk could take an hour or two to run, maybe longer if you have a huge hard drive. Fdisk will take about 20 minutes or so.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#5 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:29 PM

Ha Ha Ha Ha...sorry..a bit vague there...I should know better by now..
Okay..just so I dont come across too new..let me clear some of my statements and fears up as per your reply..and thanks btw..

1. I didnt know I had to use fdisk if...
What I actually meant was if I could re-install and re-format from the cd why I would have to use fdisk..now I know which answers the other question I had about infections surviving a partition format...:-)

2. Once upon a time back in win98 days, I formatted the drive (dont ask how..I think I used thd format C command to be honest) but didnt have a win98 startup disk..when I went to reboot, the cd-rom drive would not be recognized so I had no way of accessing the CD to reload windows..I assmued that killdisk would wipe absolutely everything including drivers for my cd-rom and I dont have a floppy..just wanted to avoid a catch22..

3.Can I burn that to a cd..(killdisk) - sorry bout that question..went to site after writing it..

4. Is it bad to keep reformatting and re-installing?..I figured that doing so too many times would create more wear and tear because the write arm on the HDD is moving that much more often with every installation of Windows.

5. I can only bring the system down of a night....not a problem really...Since I'm also crippled with a non-conforming memory module for this dell dimension 3000 some applications also seem to cause system pile ups..just now I had to wait forever for programs to unload and I had to use task manager which didnt really work either...I therefore have been advised by John (USASMA) to run a memory test...I dunno..all these problems...and I'm only in Windows Kindergarten...:-)

5.1 - btw..can having this bad memory module cause windows file corruption which could cause the Administrator and userpasswords to go wrong?..and how much performance difference would I see from 512MB SDRAM to 2GB SDRAM?

Thanks for your time and advice
Darren

Edited by Darren De Wilde, 15 March 2006 - 05:32 PM.

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:39 PM

What I actually meant was if I could re-install and re-format from the cd why I would have to use fdisk..

If you notice my instructions were to run Killdisk, THEN run fdisk. You will need to do it in that order. If you don't use Killdisk, then you don't need to run fdisk.

I assmued that killdisk would wipe absolutely everything including drivers for my cd-rom and I dont have a floppy

Well, it will defintely wipe out the drivers. But I have never had a problem with a computer's BIOS being able to recognize a CD drive. After Windows is installed you will need to reinstall all needed drivers - for motherboard, sound, video, etc. Let me try to explain this way also - when you formatted the hard drive you also wiped out the drivers to the CD. But it worked again, right? It will be the same situation after using Killdisk, fdisk, formatting, etc.

can having this bad memory module cause windows file corruption which could cause the Administrator and userpasswords to go wrong?..

Anything is possible. Get the hardware situation perfectly straight before tackling the software issues, absolutely.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

#7 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:28 PM

Two good basic hardware test programs are:

Hitachi DFT hard disk integrity analyser at http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm

and

MEMTEST86 - thorough RAM tester found at http://www.memtest86.com/#download0

Both are available in ISO format for burning to CD's. To run either simply put one in your CD drive,
and restart. Both will autoboot and run. These will help clear up whether your machine has these
kinds of hardware problems.

The only other common hardware problem you might have is a flakey power supply. You may be able
to read the voltages in the BIOS or run a program like Everest Home 2.20 to display the voltages
while running XP.

Everest can be downloaded at http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

All voltages should be within +/-5% of nominal at all times, with the +3.3V, +5V and +12V rails being
the most important.

Good luck. I hope you don't find something bad ... or not.
Finding a weak component would certainly clear up a lot of confusion. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users