Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Random internet disconnects

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 someguy999

someguy999

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:33 PM

I'm on Windows XP, using an ethernet cable to connect to my ISP.

Since last night, my internet connection has been randomly dropping. I don't see any 'local area disconnected' or such messages, all the lights on my router remain on indicating that it didn't get disconnected, however I can't browse any sites, I get disconnected from google talk, etc.

Restarting the computer fixes it for the moment, but sometime later it will dc like that again. Waiting for 5-8 mins also fixes it.

There's no pattern to the disconnects, they happened 2-3 times yesterday, then it remained fine for a few hours. Then this morning, it remained fine for 4-5 hours until disconnecting again.

It could be an issue with my ISP, and I've already contacted them to look into it (i'll hear back tomorrow), but because restarting the computer fixes it, I think it could be on my side.

I have Avast Anti virus always kept updated, and ZoneAlarm firewall.

Any ideas? Can I post a Hijack this log or any other log that you guys can look at, and tell me if it might be something on my side?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:33 PM

It could be an issue with my ISP, and I've already contacted them to look into it (i'll hear back tomorrow), but because restarting the computer fixes it, I think it could be on my side.

If there is no problem with the ISP then uninstall zone alarm firewall.Zone alarm is known to cause internet issues.

#3 someguy999

someguy999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

Thanks for the reply. It has been working fine until last night, I've had zone alarm for almost a year and didn't have any issues.

Edited by someguy999, 11 September 2012 - 04:44 PM.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

Did you make any changes to the PC before the issue started?

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 11 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

Since last night, my internet connection has been randomly dropping.

Do you have a limit (download / upload) on internet usage that may have been reached ??
Once I hit a limit my ISP will "shape or lower" my connection, making it harder for me to access many sites. Can you check monthly/daily usage from your ISP ?
This makes very "Active" game sites seem dead while I can still access forums like this with little or no problems at all -

I have only hit this once in several years, but it seemed like some sites were "dropping out" due to the slow connection rate

Do you have problems reaching sites like BleepingComputer, or All sites ??

Just an idea .......
EDIT - Agree with narenxp, and is worth a quick try for 1 or 2 hours -
""Zone alarm is known to cause internet issues""

Edited by noknojon, 11 September 2012 - 05:40 PM.

#6 someguy999

someguy999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:44 PM

Did you make any changes to the PC before the issue started?

No, though a few days ago I installed one of those codecs that video sites ask you to install. I learnt it was malware the same day and uninstalled it, though it might still be sitting somewhere. (Can't remember what it was called)

Since last night, my internet connection has been randomly dropping.

Do you have a limit (download / upload) on internet usage that may have been reached ??

I have a limit but I'm nowhere near reaching it yet. Only 5 GB out of 40 used.

Do you have problems reaching sites like BleepingComputer, or All sites ??

90% of the time I can browse all sites with no issue, but at random times I can't access any site or even login to google talk or MSN. It lasts for about 4-5 mins or until I restart my computer, and then it works without issue.

Just an idea .......
EDIT - Agree with narenxp, and is worth a quick try for 1 or 2 hours -
""Zone alarm is known to cause internet issues""

The issue happens quite randomly and often 4-5 hours go by without it happening, so 1-2 hours probably won't be enough to judge if its gone away for good or not. I don't want to uninstall ZA for good until other things have been ruled out.

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:09 PM

Do you have these 2 programs installed ??
Download Malwarebytes Anti-malware free, update and scan with this (New version is now released)
Now download SuperAntiSpyware free and update and scan with this also -

Next -
Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following boxes:
•Flush DNS
•Report IE Proxy Settings
•Reset IE Proxy Settings
•Report FF Proxy Settings
•Reset FF Proxy Settings
•List content of Hosts
•List IP configuration
•List last 10 Event Viewer log
•List Installed Programs
•List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
•List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). Post the results exactly as shown, unless you wish to edit your User Name out -

Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.
•Make sure the following options are checked:
  • Internet Services
  • Windows Firewall
  • System Restore
  • Security Center
  • Windows Update
  • Windows Defender
•Press "Scan".
•It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
•Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

Also download Security Check - Follow the directions in the box and post the notepad results -

Thank You -
EDITED for Security Check -

Edited by noknojon, 11 September 2012 - 08:22 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:54 AM

<<Can I post a Hijack this log or any other log that you guys can look at, and tell me if it might be something on my side?>>

Hijack This...is an outdated malware tool and is not used by the malware personnel assisting members here at BC.

If you know/suspect that you have malware issues and want a trained/experienced person to review your submissions for signs of malware...I suggest that you read/follow the procedures outlined at Preparation Guide, Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html . Note that the forum reflecting the Prep Guide...is the forum where your submission of requested logs...should be posted, not this forum.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users