Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this software legit?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kapakris

kapakris

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:30 AM

In response to my post from yesterday, I was instructed (in part):

Download Security Check from HERE, and save it to your Desktop.

* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

The link took me to screen317 Security Check. Is this real? I can't find any info on it. I already posted once on Bleeping Computer asking about it today, but my post was deleted.

Can I have a response, please?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 PM

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:41 AM

The member you are getting help from, Broni, is one of our most trusted members (called a BC Advisor.) You can trust him not to give you malicious links. :)

#3 kapakris

kapakris
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

Thank you. I am very new here, and just wanted to be sure. No offense to Broni, by any means.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

Security Check is a specialized tool created by screen317 that searches for the currently installed (and running) security programs on a user's computer. With that information trained Helpers can determine if your system security is enabled and up to date. Security check also looks at program versions for software such as Adobe, Java, Firefox. Why? There are serious security issues with older versions of such programs which can increase the risk of system infection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 sh4rkbyt3

sh4rkbyt3

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

As a side note, is there anyway to get programs marked as to whether they're 32 bit only or 32 bit and 64 bit compatible?

With the growth now of 64 bit systems becoming the norm it would be extra helpful to know whether or not the software will work on a persons system.

Or is this just wishful thinking?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

is there anyway to get programs marked as to whether they're 32 bit only or 32 bit and 64 bit compatible?

Most software vendors have been doing this and that info is usually found in System Requirements.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

As a side note, is there anyway to get programs marked as to whether they're 32 bit only or 32 bit and 64 bit compatible?

With the growth now of 64 bit systems becoming the norm it would be extra helpful to know whether or not the software will work on a persons system.

32-bit programs run on 64-bit Windows. This is done through WoW64 (Windows On Windows).
All Windows desktop editions have WoW64. In a few Windows server editions, WoW64 is optional.

But this doesn't necessarily mean 32-bit programs will work correctly on 64-bit systems. WoW64 will present 32-bit programs with a different view on the filesystem and registry than 64-bit programs. If 32-bit programs need the same view as 64-bit programs to run correctly (for example filesystem and registry scanners), they need to be designed to disable this WoW64 redirection.

FYI: there is a flag in the PE file format that indicates if an executable is 32-bit or 64-bit, but this is rather technical to explain. Let me know if you want the details.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users