Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

U.N. Creates Internet Governance Working Group

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 12 November 2004 - 09:47 AM

Preparations are in full swing for the second phase of the World Summit on the Information Society, or WSIS, later next year. The United Nations, which is hosting the follow-up event in Tunis, Tunisia in November 2005, has selected members of the Working Group on Internet Governance (WGIG), the organization said Thursday. The group, which will be chaired by Nitin Desai, special advisor to U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan, will include 40 members from governments, the private sector and civil society, a term collectively applied to nongovernmental organizations representing a wide variety of interests from human rights to free software. A list of the members is available at the WGIG Web site.
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2004 - 11:24 PM

I am wary of having my OWN government too involved in regulating the internet, let alone the UN bureaucracy, which is not only combersome but generally ineffective. Even if the experts could possibly agree on anything, the implementation would be left to less-than-knowledgeable politicians, whose desire to meddle with the relative freedom of the NET----always of course to make it "better" and "protect" people---will eventually stiffle all forms of free expression. China, Iran, and a host of other countries are certainly not great exponents of the free exchange of ideas that as made the NET the great force in everyday life that it is.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:08:51 AM

Posted 12 November 2004 - 11:44 PM

Once the rest of the world's "Nations" adopt the US Constitution as their own, then we might "think" about "adopting" the UN.

Until then, -bite moi!!!

I'll not cede the shedding of blood of any of my forefathers, relatives, friends, brothers-in-arms, nor my own, to appease any politician nor any foreign government!

~Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 13 November 2004 - 03:29 AM

I'm glad they talking. We can answer. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2004 - 03:41 AM

Once one has served under the auspice of the "UN" and Bled because of it's pure ignorance then we can talk about it - " I'm glad they talking. We can answer."

MY answer - adopt the US Constitution first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2004 - 03:53 AM

Thats an answer. There are millions of voices. They ought to hear 'em, and I think in time they will. More of them every day, as open source & how it can apply to lives & computers of all kinds continues to break down barriers erected by those who can only profit from the ignorance of others. That or complacency, and I don't think the computer users can be called complacent in the light of all that occurs in the daily operation of the WorldWideWeb.

#7 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2004 - 04:01 AM

Point taken.

and I'll pass it along also!

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2004 - 08:16 AM

From an interesting article by Kevin Maney:

"It's the same story anywhere: The further a government gets from democracy, the more it hates an open Internet."

Source:
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/kev...et-access_x.htm

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2004 - 11:46 AM

"It's the same story anywhere: The further a government gets from democracy, the more it hates an open Internet."

I share this opinion from that article: And there could be no more effective way to promote democracy and free markets in Iraq than to significantly boost the number of Iraqis using the Internet. Maybe give Case a little sliver of the Iraq occupation budget and have him set up Iraq Online, complete with an Arabic-language "You've got mail!"
(the Case referred to is the guy who setup AmericaOnline originally)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users