Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keep losing internet connectivity..

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 puckbag

puckbag

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 11 September 2012 - 11:29 AM

First I will post my setup and then the issue and hopefully someone can help me with this.

I have an SMCD3GN modem/router combo, I only want to use this as a modem because the wireless signal on it was brutal. For this reason I bought a Netgear wndr3400 router. I figured that because I had the option I would wire the router out to my living room right beside my PS3 and my Denon Stereo Receiver so I could have a ethernet connection to both of those. The majority of the time everything is working excellent..speed..connection..etc but I am also losing connection to the internet " No internet access" from time to time which is a bit of a hassle. With the PS3 I will have to do a connection test and it comes back, with the Denon I have to turn it on and off and any wireless device (laptops) I will have to do a ipconfig/release/renew and I will get connectivity back.

On another forum it was suggested to me that this may be a DNS error and that I should log on to my router and change the DNS setting so anything connected to it will use those. This is where it gets silly. In the past I log on to my Netgear with 192.168.1.1 (using ethernet connected to router from laptop) to change the settings..this will no longer work and while connected by ethernet ..I have ipconfig'd/all and 192.168.1.1 isnt there anymore :S so logging onto it to change the the DNS settings is a bit of an issue.

SMC router/modem lan port 1 to PC >> SMC lan port 2 to netgear lan port 1 >> Netgear lan port 2 to ps3 >> Netgear lan port 3 to Denon

The two issues :

1. Is this even setup right? Obviously I am getting some kind of conflict..does the SMC have to have some settings changed?

2. Why can I not log on to my Netgear anymore to change DNS settings (if this is even the issue)

Sorry about the long post..thanks for any help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

SMC router/modem lan port 1 to PC >> SMC lan port 2 to netgear lan port 1

Do you currently use the ISP modem with another PC connected by LAN port and another port to the current router as your main access point? Since you mentioned using it as only a modem instead of a router. Check this linked thread also just in case.

Tekken

#3 xAPMx

xAPMx

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:19 PM

First off your network is not setup correctly. In order to use that Netgear (sidecar router) with the SMC you need to hook up....

SMC Ethernet Port 1 >> Netgear INTERNET port (should be yellow)
then as follows:
Netgear port 1 >> PC
Netgear port 2 >> PS3
Netgear port 3 >> Denon

Now you can also be having DNS errors. You need to activate Bridge mode on the SMC to prevent DNS errors and allow the netgear to be hooked up properly. You can often times call your ISP and tell them you need Bridge mode activated on your SMC Gateway or you can TEMPORARILY hook up your PC directly to Port 1 on the SMC then run IPCONFIG in command prompt and note your Default Gateway IP address. Then type that in a browser and you should be able to login. It will usually be 10.0.0.1 and the login credentials should be admin/password. Then look for a section to enable Bridge mode, then also disable the WiFi/Wireless on the SMC.

Then hook up your network as I explained above and hook up the netgear router. Now if your PC is plugged into an Ethernet port on your Netgear you should be able to login to it using 192.168.1.1 and logging in using the default credentials of admin/password or whatever you set custom. You should not have to change any DNS, DHCP, or advanced settings on the Netgear. Just configure your Wireless Network and any settings you need, and leave it at that!
Sometimes it's best to factory reset the Netgear by pushing in on the reset pinhole on the back for about 30 seconds, then power-cycle the router (unplug power for 10 sec, plug power back in) this way with the Netgear being reset you know you have a clean slate to work with and all the DNS, DHCP, and IP settings will be normal.

If you try these steps and keep dropping connection then hardwire your devices to your SMC and unplug the Netgear router and see if you still drop connection. If you do, then contact your ISP.

#4 puckbag

puckbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

Thanks for your help so far. I called my ISP about bridging it and they wont do it..some blah blah about my highspeed plan not having the option. So now I am going to switch it out for a modem. I may need some further assistance after returning lol.

#5 puckbag

puckbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 06:16 PM

So now I just have a regular modem. I can login to the router but it is saying Internet is disconnected I have it hooked up as follows

Modem Ethernet port >> netgear Internet port

Netgear port 1 >>> pc

#6 puckbag

puckbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:33 PM

So right now I've just got it running from the modem to the PC because it is the only thing that will work.. as soon as I try to hook the modem up to the router it says that I have connection but no internet access . So lost

Edited by puckbag, 13 September 2012 - 08:01 PM.

#7 puckbag

puckbag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:36 AM

So I guess I didn't power cycle everything properly..everything is working. Problem solved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users