Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Change My Mac Address?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:39 PM

I go to a college that has a pretty bleepty firewall and very little gets through. They do however let you sign something which then lets them open ports/unrestricted access to their network by giving our IT department your XBOX/PS2 MAC address. Since I know my Xbox mac address. Can I unhook my Xbox and somehow change my comp's mac address to that which will theoretically(in my mind) give me unrestricted access to the internet and have most/more/all of my ports open?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:58 PM

The mac address is imbedded in each peripheral that connects to the internet.

You can possibly change the one in your computer by changing the nic card, but it won't be the one your XBox is imprinted with.

#3 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:26 PM

http://www.nthelp.com/NT6/change_mac_w2k.htm

Would that work?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 09:14 PM

It was my understanding that MAC addresses were burned into ROM whatever they were on and could not be changed, and in fact they cannot be. What the above post is recommending is spoofing the MAC address.

Windows doesn't establish the MAC address of the adapter, in this case the ethernet adapter. It is burned in by the manufacturer. The MAC address, as far as I know, is also one of the keys that Windows authenticator relies on to authenticate your op system. Spoofing it might impact that.

Spoofing the MAC address that the computer issues when queried still doesn't change the unique identifier burned into in the ethernet adapter
when it was manufactured, and spoofing can be detected if the MAC address isn't conforming to the standard format. Doing so may violate agreements made with or mandates made by the ISP, in this case the college authority. Not recommended.

#5 Chuckrox8

Chuckrox8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:28 PM

AHh I see. That clears the matter up. I knew it couldnt be that easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users