Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defrag Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nooodle

Nooodle

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:59 PM

My machine will not defragment, it will get up to 1% done then go back to 0% and start over. It will never get over 1% done no matter how long I leave it running.
Posted Image

My name is Nooodle and I approve this message.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:05 PM

Have you tried defragging in Safe Mode? This will elimanate many programs and applications that are trying to access files thus causing the defragmenter to start over. Be sure to run scan disk first (you can do this in safe mode, too.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Nooodle

Nooodle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:28 PM

Thank you this seems to work fine. Why would it not be able to work in normal mode though?
Posted Image

My name is Nooodle and I approve this message.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 02:44 PM

When you log in to safe mode, Windows uses only those programmes absolutely necessary to run itself. In normal mode, all sorts of applications and Windows modules are constantly accessing files on your hard drive.
To do its job, defrag needs to have files left alone and unchanged as it moves them about; when a file is accessed, defrag is not sure if the file has been changed or not, so it begins again.

You may want to investigate using DiskkeeperLite (free); this is the original programme that MS uses in XP for disk defragmentation. The benefit of Diskkeeper is that it will run even when programmes are accessing files or you are working on the computer; the drawback is that it will only work in a manual mode and only do one drive at a time. It is also faster (PERHAPS not as thorough as the Windows version).
If you elect to use DKL, then use it exclusively, and do not use the Windows defrag programme. Below is a link to download it:

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Best/diskeeper-light.html

Hope this explains the constant restarts and provides a workable alternative.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 15 March 2006 - 02:45 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 turnip

turnip

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:35 AM

Hey noodle,
To add to jgweed's post, its also good to run a disk cleanup and scan disk bfore u defrag.
And i agree with the suggestion to switch to a third party tool like Diskeeper, even the Lite version is much better than the built in one, esp for Windows 98.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users