Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG Perfomance Scan Solution?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

#1 yass

yass

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

Hi all I ran a performance scan with AVG and got a bunch of Registry Errors, Junk Files, Fragmentation, and Broken Shortcuts. Screenshot below:
Posted Image

When i clicked fix it took me to this below link. But its only single use. Is there any free version out there?
http://www.avg.com/us-en/pc-tuneup-inc?cmpid=tr_45035573_afh_inc_analyzer_fix_101&intcmp=inc_free_tune_up_fix_13_232206&pid=&lic=NFVORUYtUEI2M0YtWDlaQVMtQU8zVEItSEk5Sk8tMw%3D%3D&type=&redir=off

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:08 PM

If the computer is running good I wouldn't bother.

Note that Bleeping Computer does not recommend fixing the registry.

Junk files?

Defrag, You can do that with the built in windows utility, Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Defrag.

Broken Shortcuts?
I can't see how you could have that many to be honest.

I can't remember running anything like that utility on these computers of mine and they keep on running.

You could use TFC http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tfc/ unless you have many missing files and shortcuts in Start / programs.

If you have files and folders hidden by a virus, then do not run this program.

TFC. or Temp File Cleaner, is a small utility that will clean out all the folders on your computer that house temporary files. The temp folders that TFC will clean are the Java, Windows Temp Folder, and the Internet Explorer, Opera, Chrome, and Safari caches. This tool will clean the folders for all accounts on the computer including the Administrator, NetworkService, and LocalService accounts.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 yass

yass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

Thanks rotor! Ill try that. My computer is very choppy right now. I have to backup and create a topic per a recent topic but didnt get time to backup yet.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:19 PM

That program will not help with your problem.

Run Speccy and lets see what you are working with.

• [
  • Go to Piriform's website, and click the big Posted Image button.

Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    Posted Image

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot

You will see the following prompt:
    Posted Image

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Posted Image

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the Posted Image button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

Thanks
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 yass

yass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:36 AM

Thanks soooo much Roger I'll do that right away!!

#6 yass

yass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:47 AM

Thanks soooo much Roger I'll do that right away!!

Here it is:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/804unbvRlTgMmOBE8hf3gk1

edit:
crap sorry about this double post i got the server error page when i was trying to post.

Edited by yass, 11 September 2012 - 03:48 AM.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:44 AM

A couple of things to do. Check the CPU heatsink and make sure it is dust free. Those Prescott processors run hot, Your CPU is a Prescott.

Do a Ctrl + Alt + Del to bring up the Task Manager, wait a few seconds and see what CPU usage is being reported. The Performance Tab will show a history starting when you bring it up. If your computer is just sitting there doing nothing the CPU usage graph should be a moderately flat graph and be around 0% to 2% CPU usage. Physical memory usage since you have 2Gb under normal circumstances should show plenty of available out of the total. This will show up under the page file Usage History graph of the Performance Tab of task manager. Or to put it another way in the bottom 1/3rd of the task manager.

I also noticed that you seem to be running utorrent.exe / utorrentportable.exe so just in case I'd also like you to run a online virus scan. So run this Eset Online Virus Scan and see what it shows.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 11 September 2012 - 09:46 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#8 yass

yass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:01 AM

Thanks so much rotor! No one ever mentioned to me about the heatsink. I tried but I cant tell the heat from this data:
This is while a GMER scan is running and i have firefox on:
Posted Image

This is after i open up paint paste the image and do some work in firefox to upload it:
Posted Image

I'll run the eset scanner soon after this gmer, its been running all day for me :( like 6 hours now :( making my mouse movements choppy and my audio very audibly choppy but animation is smooth.

I did some scans here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic464481.html

You got me motivated to run through the prep guide so I did that and the GMER is almost done hopefully so ill have that topic in the virus area asap :)

Thanks rotor!!

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:15 AM

I suggest you go do the logs forum and get an all clear from there first as was suggested by narenxp.

If you still have any issues then come back to here.

It appears that your computer is infected and that is quite likely the root cause of your problems. Clearing that up needs to be done before doing any other repairs.

Once you open a log there then making any changes to the computer outside of the directions there will cause delays.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#10 yass

yass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:17 AM

Ok will do thanks so much! :)

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

yass, be aware there have also been reported problems with computers after using new features like PC Analyzer and PC Tuneup which purport to fix registry errors in order to make the system more stable and various optimizing tools which can make changes to system settings.

That is why rotor123 noted we do not recommend the use of such tools.

For this and several other reasons, I no longer recommend AVG as a free alternative anti-virus solution.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#12 yass

yass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:36 PM

Thanks so much. Since you're reading Im trying to uninstall it. Man it seriously reduced my system performance. Its more noticeable on my comp because its older I think.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

The correct way to remove AVG is through its program folder via Start > All Programs or by using Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7.

An alternative way is to download and run the latest AVG installation file. When the AVG Installer windows appears choose the option to Remove and click Continue to allow the AVG 2011 uninstaller to run. Restart the computer when done.

Anti-virus software components insert themselves into the operating systems core and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. If is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the usual method of Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7. In many cases anti-virus vendors provide clean-up utilities on their web sites to remove remnants left behind after unintalling or for a failed uninstall.

If normal removal methods do not work, you can download and use AVG's uninstall/cleanup utility.

AVG Remover eliminates all the parts of your AVG installation from your computer, including registry items, installation files, user files, etc. AVG Remover is the last option to be used in case the AVG uninstall / repair installation process has failed repeatedly.

AVG Remover
AVG Remover downloads for 32-bit, 64-bit systems

If you still have difficulty uninstalling AVG, try using OPSWAT's AppRemover - supported applications list.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Before removing your existing anti-virus, you should download and save the setup file for the anti-virus you are going to replace it with. You should the same if you are going to reinstall AVG. After doing that, disconnect from the Internet, uninstall your anti-virus, reboot and then install the replacement. Reboot again to ensure it is working properly before reconnecting to the Internet.

My personal choice is NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small foortprint or one of the following if choosing a free alternative.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#14 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:28 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic468197.html/page__view__findpost__p__2836485

Please note that yass has now created logs and a new topic in Malware Removal area -

#15 yass

yass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:02 AM

The correct way to remove AVG is through its program folder via Start > All Programs or by using Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7.

An alternative way is to download and run the latest AVG installation file. When the AVG Installer windows appears choose the option to Remove and click Continue to allow the AVG 2011 uninstaller to run. Restart the computer when done.

Anti-virus software components insert themselves into the operating systems core and create files/folders/registry entries in various locations. If is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the usual method of Add/Remove Programs or Programs and Features in Vista/Windows 7. In many cases anti-virus vendors provide clean-up utilities on their web sites to remove remnants left behind after unintalling or for a failed uninstall.

If normal removal methods do not work, you can download and use AVG's uninstall/cleanup utility.

AVG Remover eliminates all the parts of your AVG installation from your computer, including registry items, installation files, user files, etc. AVG Remover is the last option to be used in case the AVG uninstall / repair installation process has failed repeatedly.

AVG Remover
AVG Remover downloads for 32-bit, 64-bit systems

If you still have difficulty uninstalling AVG, try using OPSWAT's AppRemover - supported applications list.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Before removing your existing anti-virus, you should download and save the setup file for the anti-virus you are going to replace it with. You should the same if you are going to reinstall AVG. After doing that, disconnect from the Internet, uninstall your anti-virus, reboot and then install the replacement. Reboot again to ensure it is working properly before reconnecting to the Internet.

My personal choice is NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small foortprint or one of the following if choosing a free alternative.

Thanks so much quietman! I was looking for something like this!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic468197.html/page__view__findpost__p__2836485

Please note that yass has now created logs and a new topic in Malware Removal area -

Yep thanks noknojon sorry I should have mentioned that here.

Thanks everyone you guys have awesome teamwork and individuals here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users