Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

explorer.exe using 20% cpu

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 krushman

krushman

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

So, basically, my problem is as follows : I can use my pc without any problems when it comes to browsing, watching videos and so on, can do pretty much anything that I usually do, except play games. If I start up a game, explorer.exe can suddenly, after exiting the game, be using up to 20% cpu while idle. It happened while I had W7 32bit, but I didn't mind it that much since I was upgrading to 64bit in a short time. After doing so, the problem persisted (I did a completely fresh install of the system disk, nothing from the 32bit version was kept).
Using ProcessExplorer, I've found that the file is named shlwapi.dll (can't recall at the top of my head what the rest of the info was). This only happens during some games, not all. I've managed to play Civ5 for a couple of hours and quitting, while explorer.exe was just fine. But I can, it seems, conjure up this problem any time I start up Heroes of Might and Magic 4 (it's not as bad a game as people say it is!). I'm wondering if this is because of the shwlapi.dll file being corrupted after updating the graphics drivers (just a wild guess) or if it might possibly be hardware related (worst case scenario I reckon).

The computer info is : Asus Radeon HD5850 1GB GDDR5 - AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 3.40GHz - Asus Crosshair III Formula AMD 790FX Motherboard - Geil Ultra Series 4GB 2133MHz memory (2x2GB)

As a side note, I've ran memtest, which came back clean (ran for slightly under an hour though), and Error-checking on both the system hdd and the hdd I use under my games turned up nothing. I also tried Spybot and Microsoft Safety Scanner, nothing.

Any help is much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

>> I also tried Spybot and Microsoft Safety Scanner, nothing. <<

If you are looking for Malware related issues, the 2 programs listed are well superceded now -
Use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free and SuperantiSpyware Free to scan with, and make sure your Antivirus is fully updated -

#3 krushman

krushman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:24 PM

Thanks for the tip noknojon. Ran both programs, both Quick Scan and Full Scan (just to be super safe, or something) and Malwarebytes turned up nothing, while SuperantiSpyware turned up some tracker cookies for websites (assuming that's nothing too unusual). Rebooted afterwards, started up HOMM4 and instantly, 20% cpu after exiting (start up the game, exit as soon as it's done loading the menu). So, the problem is still unresolved at this time for me.
But any ideas are welcome, as long as they don't sound insane :wink:

#4 jake gardner

jake gardner

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:43 PM

Have you tried an anti rootkit utility such as combo fix?

#5 krushman

krushman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:24 AM

Have you tried an anti rootkit utility such as combo fix?

Yes. And it found nothing wrong. I'm atleast 99% sure now that it's not Malware at least. I tested tdsskiller as well with the same results.

Keep it coming :wink:

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:14 AM

There is nothing wrong with cpu usage.

Using ProcessExplorer, I've found that the file is named shlwapi.dll

This is valid one and yes you can find this dll attached to explorer.exe

If you feel that system is slow then you could try a clean boot.There is nothing wrong with explorer.exe or shlwapi.dll

http://www.askdrtech.com/solutions/post/How-to-perform-a-clean-startup-%28clean-boot%29-in-Windows-7.aspx

Edited by narenxp, 11 September 2012 - 07:14 AM.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:26 AM

There is nothing wrong with cpu usage.

Sorry to disagree, but the cpu should not be at 20% when idle and certainly the shell lightweight utility library shouldn't be chewing the cycles.

This particular .dll file is involved with a number of shell functions, including color settings. It's possible the problem is related to your video card since it only occurs after playing certain games. Make sure you have the latest driver for your card installed (obtain the driver from the website of the video card manufacturer, not from Windows Update). Even better, if you have an "extra" video card you can try.......

Edited by Allan, 11 September 2012 - 07:27 AM.

#8 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:35 AM

But I can, it seems, conjure up this problem any time I start up Heroes of Might and Magic 4 (it's not as bad a game as people say it is!

I can use my pc without any problems when it comes to browsing, watching videos and so on, can do pretty much anything that I usually do, except play games.

Its not idle

Edited by narenxp, 11 September 2012 - 07:42 AM.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,582 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:45 AM

If I start up a game, explorer.exe can suddenly, after exiting the game, be using up to 20% cpu while idle.

#10 krushman

krushman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

Just to clarify. After exiting a game, explorer.exe will be using around 20% cpu constantly. Even well after the game has exited and the pc is idle for over an hour.

I'll try to do a fresh install of the video card drivers using Driver Fusion.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,582 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:39 AM

Please do not use 3rd party software for drivers. Just download the correct driver from the display adapter manufacturer's website, manually uninstall the old driver, and install the new driver. NEVER use 3rd party driver software.

#12 krushman

krushman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:49 AM

Please do not use 3rd party software for drivers. Just download the correct driver from the display adapter manufacturer's website, manually uninstall the old driver, and install the new driver. NEVER use 3rd party driver software.

Yes my lord! :thumbup2:
I did have the latest drivers already installed, but still gonna uninstall the drivers and install them again.

#13 krushman

krushman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

Alright, after uninstalling both through Programs and Features and then through device manager, I booted up in safe mode and installed the display driver that way (didn't sound too dumb to me to try that) and then booted normally and installed through the setup (in case I'm being vague, in safe mode it came up as a standard vga adapter, and I used the extracted files to identify the card that way, and then in normal mode, installed through the setup.exe feature).

After that being said, the install log completed successfully, but it came up with a warning it seems. "Installation completed (warnings occurred during installation). View log for details."

Now, I'm not smart enough to read the log out correctly it seems, but at least it says that everything I chose for installation, was installed successfully. And on the bottom, where it says "Error messages" there is nothing.

So, slightly confused at the moment. Should I uninstall all over again and skip going into safe mode?

Also, might be able to borrow a friends graphics card to test, in case that's the smart thing to do and just avoid screwing up the system further <_<

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,582 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:14 AM

I don't understand - you installed the driver twice - once in safe mode and once in normal mode? And why would you install in safe mode?

#15 lopezsimmon

lopezsimmon

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

You should remove all Short-term Internet Information directory for the impacted user account. Make sure that there is no invisible computer file stayed. You can click Folder Options View to check invisible files.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users