Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Millions of websites disappear from the internet

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

GoDaddy.com, the largest domain registrar in the world, has suffered a major failure of some kind in its DNS services. GoDaddy.com manages approximately 53 million domain names, though not all rely on GoDaddy's DNS services. Those that do use its DNS service and hosting service have been knocked completely offline (websites which only use GoDaddy for DNS but not hosting may still accessible via IP address.)

So, if your favorite website has been down today, this might be why; also any e-mail sent to an affected domain may or may not be delivered. And to add a wrinkle, Anonymous has claimed responsibility, though this has not been confirmed.

Further reading:
GoDaddy's Official Twitter page
Internet Storm Center daily diary

http://wtvr.com/2012/09/10/hacker-cripples-large-part-of-internet-with-godaddy-attack/
http://www.wired.com/wiredenterprise/2012/09/godaddy-goes-down/
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2012/09/10/godaddy-has-glitches-anonymous-claims-responsibility/

Edited by Andrew, 10 September 2012 - 04:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

That explains it! I was wondering why a few websites were down.

Thanks for the news Andrew.

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,493 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 AM

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:09 PM

GitHub was down today as well.. It was as if the world had ended at that point. They are still having a few issues as of writing this.
sigcomp.png 
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:21 PM

Update: GoDaddy says there was no hack, that it was a malfunction: https://www.godaddy.com/newscenter/release-view.aspx?news_item_id=410

#5 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:03 PM

Well that's good that Anonymous wasn't involved. They should be more prepared though. Huge blunder. Fortunately for me and my parents website isn't hosted there, but they are registered through Godaddy.

#6 Ted Striker

Ted Striker

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:02 PM

It seems that Anonymous didn't take credit for it after all. It was someone who pretended to be part of that group although the way the group is setup, anyone can claim to be part of it.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,260 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:56 PM

GoDaddy customers have been receiving this e-mail from GoDaddy's CEO:

Dear <Customer Name>,

We owe you a big apology for the intermittent service outages we experienced on September 10 that may have impacted your website, your email and other Go Daddy services.

We let you down and we know it. We take our responsibilities and the trust you place in us very seriously. I cannot express how sorry I am to those of you who were inconvenienced.

The service outage was due to a series of internal network events that corrupted router data tables. Once the issues were identified, we took corrective actions to restore services for our customers and GoDaddy.com. We have implemented a series of immediate measures to fix the problem.

At no time was any sensitive customer information, including credit card data, passwords or names and addresses, compromised.

Throughout our history, we have provided 99.999% uptime in our DNS infrastructure. This is the level of performance we expect from ourselves. Monday, we fell short of these expectations. We have learned from this event and will use it to drive improvement in our services.

It's an honor to serve you. As always, please call us 24/7 at 480-505-8877 anytime, for any reason.

Sincerely,
Scott Wagner
CEO
GoDaddy.com

Emphasis is original

#8 hamrecycling

hamrecycling

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Wow, i was wondering what was going on, thanks for the info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users