Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Port Assignments

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 marklafan

marklafan

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 15 March 2006 - 12:57 PM

I am attempting to hook a piece of hardware into my laptop through the usb port. the external hardware lets asks me which port i am using on my computer to connect. i am given options of port 1-4. the problem is that the usb port on my computer is considered port #5. so my computer is not able to recognize the hardware. can i change the port address to 4 instead of 5?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 AM

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:28 PM

What operating system are you running??
What is the hardware you are hooking up??

#3 marklafan

marklafan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:56 PM

i am operating under windows XP (laptop). unfortunantly now that i look at my explanation of my problem i realize i explained it wrong. I have a program called WINDRAS on my computer that allows me to hook up and read a Cinema Processor in a movie theatre. I hook up to this cinema processor by my USB port. This windras program asks me to select which port i am using to connect to this cinema processor. this program gives me the options of choosing between port 1 - 4. My computer recognizes the usb ports as #5 and #6. Can i reassign these ports to a different number?

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:18 PM

From Win XP Help:
USB ports have a separate entry in Device Manager. To check the device status, click Universal Serial Bus controllers, right-click USB Root Hub, and then click Properties. If you do not see USB Root Hub, you might not have a USB port installed on your computer.

You can also use the Hardware troubleshooter to diagnose and solve problems with hardware devices such as USB game controllers. Start the Hardware troubleshooter.

USB devices do not have port assignments. Windows recognizes them as "Human Interfaces". When you boot with something plugged into a USB connection it should be recognized even if it's recognized as a "unknown device".

Make sure your USB controllers are enabled in bios.

Edited by Enthusiast, 15 March 2006 - 08:18 PM.

#5 River_Rat

River_Rat

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:37 PM

After installing the hardware look in the Device Manager for the device double click it if it is possible to change the port there will be a Tab when opened with an Advanced button if there is none then you will not be able to change it. If there is then click the Advanced Button and assign it a port.

As Enthusiast stated USB ports do not have assigned ports.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users