Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

pc mighty max annoying pop up

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tonihamrick

tonihamrick

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:49 PM

i have a pc mighty max pop up on my computer. I remember downloading a suggested anti virus program from what i thought was a legit microsoft site. When i was prompted to buy pc mighty max 2011 i did not purchase it. Now I have two obnoxious pop ups that i can't remove from my bottom task bar. i have tryed right clicking and all it lists is Scan Now,Open PC MightMax 2011,Register Now limited time offer. I went to register to find a number or help to get this pop up off of my computer and there is no number to call. The research i have done suggests there is no legit email address.
I have looked in my programs and i can't find anything.

Does anyone know how to get rid of this pop up?

tonihamrick

Edited by hamluis, 10 September 2012 - 02:26 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,988 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:57 PM

Hi,

Did you try to uninstall the program using the Add or Remove Programs applet on the Control Panel?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:45 PM

From what I found on the web, it does not list itself in Add/ Remove.

Try this that I found on the web:
Taskmgr>PCMightyMax>remove

It is also reported that Trayicon.exe is part of the program and it
should be removed from Taskmgr.

I would then do a search for it on your computer and remove any files associated with it.

A list of some files to look for from the web:
PCMightyMaxSetup.EXE
pcmm.exe
pcmm2007.exe
%program_files%\\PC MightyMax\\beep.exe
%program_files%\\PC MightyMax\\ExeAfter.exe

Edited by buddy215, 10 September 2012 - 07:48 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 tonihamrick

tonihamrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:00 PM

i brought up my task manager and highlighted TrayIcon.exe then i selected end process and the icon on my taskbar went away. i restarted my computer and the pc mighty max icon was back. i brought up the task manager and right clicked TrayIcon.exe and selected "end process tree" and the icon went away. i restarted and the icon was back.

#5 tonihamrick

tonihamrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:01 PM

Hi,

Did you try to uninstall the program using the Add or Remove Programs applet on the Control Panel?

#6 tonihamrick

tonihamrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

the pc mightymx is not in add and remove programs

#7 tonihamrick

tonihamrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

i brought up my task manager and highlighted TrayIcon.exe then i selected end process and the icon on my taskbar went away. i restarted my computer and the pc mighty max icon was back. i brought up the task manager and right clicked TrayIcon.exe and selected "end process tree" and the icon went away. i restarted and the icon was back.

i could not find the list of files you listed. do you know where to look for the buddy215 ?

Edited by tonihamrick, 10 September 2012 - 06:06 PM.

#8 tonihamrick

tonihamrick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

i searched my files for pc mightymax. i had to go to search "hidden files" i found two pc mightymax files and deleted them, they were stuborn but i went back and forth and double clicked the file to find the file behind it. then i went to the task manager and highlighted TrayIcon.exe and selected " process" or i might have doubled clicked "end process tree"
and the icon went away.
when i searched "hidden files" the pcmightymax files were in "applications" the TrayIcon file was in there too.

Then success!!!!! i restarted my computer and no more mightymax pop up or icon on my task bar! i am in awe buddy215, this has been going on since july.

thank you for your help!
tonihamrick

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,995 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:47 PM

Good that you had success!
Probably a good idea to run a scan with Super Antispyware Free. Allow it to remove
whatever it finds. SUPERAntiSpyware.com - AntiAdware, AntiSpyware, AntiMalware!

I just edited my first post....seems I left out "not". OOOOOOPS
....From what I found on the web, it does not list itself in Add/ Remove....

Be sure to empty the recycle bin if you haven't done that.

Edited by buddy215, 10 September 2012 - 07:56 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users