Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot change speech recognition or TTS settings in XP professional

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Simon Jaeger

Simon Jaeger

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:53 AM

I'm not entirely sure when this started, but at some point in the last month, something relating to the speech API control panel became rather busted. The result is that I can no longer change the default Sapi5 voice.

Upon opening the speech properties from Control Panel, I get this:
The requested task cannot be carried out because the necessary engine could not be created. Please select a different engine and/or a different audio device.

After clicking OK, I'm still taken to the normal speech properties window. I can then change the voice as expected. The problem occurs if I click OK, or even Cancel for that matter:
RUNDLL
An exception occurred while trying to run "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Speech\sapi.cpl",Speech"
After I click OK, I discover that changes to voice settings are not saved.

I've read this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;838659
but was unable to download the hotfix. However, I did delete the mentioned directory and am still experiencing the same problem.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm listening. I can't seem to find anything particularly helpful on google.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:19 PM

hi, don't have an answer but i have a question ,why cant you download the hotfix ,what error or reason is given

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 Simon Jaeger

Simon Jaeger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:24 PM

If I fill out the captcha ad hit "request hotfix", it sits for five minutes doing absolutely nothing, then comes up with a message just stating that an error was encountered. Quite annoying.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:01 PM

yeah for sure ,thanks

I just filled it out and it said I was sending it to my email address I put in ,make sure you check the box to select the file ,

edit -just got the email and it had a link to the file ,hope this help you ,good luck http://hotfixv4.microsoft.com/Windows%20XP/sp2/Fix87238/2600/free/170483_ENU_i386_zip.exe

Edited by caperjac, 10 September 2012 - 01:28 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 Simon Jaeger

Simon Jaeger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately although it did work, I found out the hard way that I already have this update, since service pack 3 is installed. So I'm still unable to change speech settings.

#6 Audio Transcription

Audio Transcription

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:43 AM

Automatic voice recognition software normally reduces the manual transcription needs. But Automatic voice recognition technology is not still matured to produce accurate transcription for non-American accents, or with people speaking quickly or multiple speakers audio files. If you have more than one voice it is almost impossible to get a good transcript. Add to that any background noise or a weak recording and you can pretty much forget it.

So, after automatic transcription, you have to massage this transcription into the final form. Some of the massages are

Correct incorrectly transcribed words/phrases.
Correct punctuation/sentence breaks.
Define paragraph breaks.

For automatic transcription, you can also refer

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

In this scenario, better to go for manual transcription. For accurate and cost-effective manual transcription, please refer:
Speech Transcription

Edited by Audio Transcription, 12 September 2012 - 06:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users