Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows updates question?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 astropaz

astropaz

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:02 AM

Hi all,

I keep reading that you shouldn't let Windows automatically install updates on your PC, which I can see the reasoning behind this but I'm not sure the best way to put this into practice.
For instance, the other day an update installed and for whatever reason left me with a PC that wouldn't start outside of safe mode and a code 31 error but a system restore has fixed that for now.

But I guess my main question is if I choose to let windows notify me and let me pick what updates to install how do I know what to install and what not too?

Sorry it might seem like a noobish question but I don't know is all.

Cheers

Paz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ryder

ryder

• Security Colleague
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:44 AM

Basically I advice all my friends and also family to let Windows automatically install any offered update. I never had an error you descriped in your post and it all went well always. Not-up-to-date computers are usually a target for malware and the updates usually fix security issues.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:36 PM

IMO...

The only updates that matter...are the critical updates which relate to system security. All those listed optional updates...have no impact at all on system security, which should be the primary concern.

A user should not use Windows Update to install hardware drivers. The drivers for any system should be obtained from manufacturer of said system if it is an OEM (HP, Dell, Lenovo, Acer, etc.) system, since they are responsible for support of their products.

All laptops/netbooks, etc. are OEM systems.

For those who build their desktop systems...the component manufacturers' websites...would be the place to obtain drivers.

As for the merit of downloading but not installing...if you don't know what should be installed, the safest route is just to enable auto-download/install of all security/critical updates...and nothing else.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users