Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't defrag - chksdk /f schedule to run

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bhl

bhl

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:18 PM

When I try to defrag I get an error message that it can't because chkdsk /f is scheduled to run. The only problem is that there's nothing scheduled. When I run chkdsk /f I get the following message:

-----------------------
The type of file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive.

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <y/n>

-------------------------------

Any ideas? :angry:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? <y/n>

Press Y and <Enter>

Restart the PC

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:11 PM

If you are using Run Box and typing chkdsk /r my other method is as follows -
Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:

•Click Start and open My Computer

•Right-click on C: (Use your maindrive letter if it is not C:) and select Properties

•Click on the Tools tab

•Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button

•Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and also Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

•Click on the Start button

•When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer

•Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

Allow all 5 stages to run, and it will reboot to normal screen when finished -
This will take over 1 hour on average, so please let it finish -

Thank You -

#4 bhl

bhl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

•Mark the box next to Automatically fix file system errors and also Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

•Click on the Start button

•When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and restart your computer

•Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so

Allow all 5 stages to run, and it will reboot to normal screen when finished -
This will take over 1 hour on average, so please let it finish -

Thank You -

I get a message that the disk check will occur when I restart. I click ok but it doesn't auto reboot. I have to restart manually. When I do this, nothing happens. Problem still exists.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:52 AM

•When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and >>> restart your computer

Your computer will not auto reboot, You need to reboot the computer yourself - It will Auto reboot only once finished -

Now -
Download Security Check by Screen317 from HERE or HERE, and save it to your Desktop.
* Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
* Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
* A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.
Note: If a security program requests permission to access the Internet, allow it to do so.

Next -
Download TFC by OldTimer http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe to your desktop.
Double-click TFC.exe to run it.
NOTE - TFC will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.* Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process.
* Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.
* Please let TFC run uninterrupted until it is finished.Once TFC is finished it should restart your computer. If it does not, please manually restart the computer yourself to ensure a complete cleaning.

Next -
Defrag your C Drive - Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Click on Disk Defragmenter > Click Defragment -
Tell us how much Free space % is showing first ..............
If there is more than about 50% showing as RED then run the program for no nore than 30 minutes and then Stop it, and [ X ] out of the program-
Now start the program again and do the same as above and it will run quicker, after it has run for a while -

Next -
Go Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup - This will take a while to find and Compress files > Tick the top 7 boxes and click OK > OK

These programs should be run about every 1 or 2 weeks to keep your system unclogged and clean (not like it is now) -

Now Re-try Chkdsk but use chkdsk /r not /f -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 24 September 2012 - 04:23 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users