Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop will not start up, weird system32 message, please help!!!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scorer04

scorer04

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:51 PM

Hello all,

Really hoping someone will know what this means, and have some sort of a solution.

He was using the computer, then left for about an hour, and came back to this message on this screen.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM
Select 'r at the first screen to start repair.

I have tried starting the computer in Safe Mode with no luck. I am able to get into Safe Mode, but trying to go to Last Known Configuration still brings up the same screen.

I'm not sure if I have the Repair CD for this computer or not. I have a master CD, but i'm not sure if this is the repair CD as the computer is at least 5 or 6 years old.

The Laptop is a:
Dell Inspiron 6000

Any help or insight to try and resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,
Tyler Knighton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scorer04

scorer04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

Further information:

The Laptop is running Windows XP Professional.

Thank you.

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

I have tried starting the computer in Safe Mode with no luck. I am able to get into Safe Mode ...

Please clarify the above seemingly conflicting statements.

What Windows operating system is installed on this computer? Vista? XP Home, XP Pro?
  • First thing we'll do is get the topic moved out of the Am I Infected? forum and into one of the operating system forums.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#4 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

I have requested that a Moderator move this topic to the XP forum. Thank you.

What this message means is that the SYSTEM registry hive is corrupt/damaged. It could be a simple file-system issue, or the file-system issue could be caused by bad sector(s) developing on the hard drive. Logically the first step would be to test the hard drive. Are you able to run the DELL diagnostics on that laptop at startup and check the hard drive (a full check)? That would be a good start.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 09 September 2012 - 07:40 PM.
Moved to XP forum. ~ OB

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

I have tried starting the computer in Safe Mode with no luck. I am able to get into Safe Mode, but trying to go to Last Known Configuration still brings up the same screen.

From my understanding Safe Mode is reachable, but > ""Last Known Configuration still brings up the same screen"" < is the problem ........

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:01 AM

Hello -
Please reply to AustrAlien, as Dell systems may not behave the same as some other systems -

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 10 September 2012 - 01:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users