Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Maximizing My Ram Performance/Usage. Virtual Memory Settings.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 IAmNewbiew

IAmNewbiew

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

Just upgraded my memory from 4GB to 8GB. I don't want to pressure my CPU too much.

1. Is it possible to run my computer putting more work on my memory? (Maximizing the performance: Not really sure what I'm asking or saying)

2. Also what should my virtual memory (total paging file size for all drives) be set to?

3. I am also wondering what is virtual memory and how would it affect your CPU usage or computer performance in anyway?

So here's my computer specs right now:
Processor (CPU) : AMD Phenom™ II N660 Dual-Core Processor (3Ghz Each Core)
Current Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition (build 7600), 64-bit
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 6650M 1GB DDR3

I use my computer for gaming, surfing the web, running heavy applications like Adobe software's, and rendering videos.

Thanks And Please Help, Leave A Comment.
I Am A Complete Noob To Computers. Sorry :D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,985 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:44 PM

My take on it: Let Windows look after it. Win7 does a fine job of managing memory, and the default setting is to maximize performance for foreground applications, which is what 99% of systems need. Memory allocation will not pressure or stress the CPU in any way.

"Virtual memory" in this context is a slight misnomer on Microsoft's part. Operating systems like Windows run the CPU in what's called Protected Mode. Set this way, all memory beyond the first Megabyte is virtual memory. The CPU implements a concept of all the memory it can possibly handle (the virtual address space) and anything that can be used as memory in the computer can then be mapped somewhere into this space. That includes system RAM, memory on cards on a local bus and the contents of a file on a hard drive. It's this latter one (a swapfile) that gets labelled as "virtual memory".

If the computer has plenty of RAM, the swapfile will rarely be used as virtual memory, so the effect on performance will be minimal. Because a hard drive is slower than RAM, on occasions where it is being utilized the system will lag. The best result is having more RAM than you ever need. If your applications are sufficiently demanding that RAM is insufficient, then having the fastest possible hard drive is the next best thing.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users