Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer hangs at starting windows and have to reboot numerous times

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Misstrulie

Misstrulie

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

I am hoping someone can help me out. I have a HP Pavililon M8300f desktop computer. It originally came with Windows Vista, 3072 system memory, 640 gig hard drive. About a year ago it had some problems so I bought a new hard drive and Windows 7 32 bit and replaced the hard drive and made a clean install of Windows 7. The rest of the computer is same. Everything was working fine until about 2 weeks ago. I started getting a message that "windows shut down unexpectedly.... The error message was blue screen. Shortly after this the computer wouldn't boot when first started. I would push the power button on the desktop and would hang at the HP screen which has the F10 boot options etc. I would reboot again and would go into starting windows but hang here and not continue. Usually on third boot it starts but lands on the screen to start in Safe mode or start windows normally. I select start windows normally and it will finally boot to Windows. Shortly later in gets a blue screen dumping data shuts down and reboots and sometimes starts and shows message about windows shutting down. So I decided to put the Windows 7 Cd in I deleted all data on hard drives and reloaded Windows 7. It did all the updates and the computer rebooted after each update, rebooting from a soft boot doing the updates with no problem at all so I thought hooray it is fixed, but after a full shut down and a turn on from the desktop the next morning the same problem was right back again. So I thought maybe it was one of the Windows updates as it worked fine for a year so I went through the whole process of loading Windows 7 again but did no updates. Same problem still occurred. I ran Norton Diagnostics on the hard drive and it didn't find any errors. Does anyone have any suggestions or had similar problem that could tell me what might be causing the problem? Could I have a virus in bios? I loaded Norton anti virus and ran a full system scan and it found and resolved only tracking cookies. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 drmalware

drmalware

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

Hi Misstrulie

I have been using this site for such a long time, great for getting the info you need!

Finally signed up this evening... B)

I have been working for a number of years on virus removal, so here is my advice!

Backup all important data before you start if you can...

1) Go to the AVG website, download the free anti virus for a memory stick, think its worded something like that!

Load the files onto a USB stick which will make the stick bootable...

2)Change your options in your BIOS to tell it to boot from the USB stick first...

3) Allow the system to boot from the USB, this will perform a boot scan... This could take a couple of hours, best to leave overnight and remove any infections...

You should be able to boot as normal?

Here is a list of software

Malware Bytes
Super Anti Spyware
Avast Antivirus
Comodo Firewall
CCleaner
Rkill
Gmer
Autorun
Process Explorer

Read up on the above programs, install and run...

Your system should be good to go!!

Sorry its not in great detail but I hope it helps!!

- edit - I would certainly advise you to get rid of your current anti virus as you can install some much better programs for free!

Edited by drmalware, 09 September 2012 - 05:51 PM.

#3 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:47 PM

Hi

It certainly sounds like a hardware problem of some sort. Do you know what the blue screen error was? If not, we can tell you how to find out.

In the meantime, you can check to make sure that the fans are all running, that none of the ports look broken and that nothing extra is plugged into it that may be causing the problem (like external drives, flash keys, wireless dongles, graphics tablets, etc...)

James

#4 Misstrulie

Misstrulie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

Thank you for the responses, however drmalware you have scared me as it sounds like you think it could be a virus. I'm a little nervous to do the steps you suggested. I did check Windows event log and there are numerous warnings. Below are few that sounded more serious but I am not sure what to look for.

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date:          9/7/2012 10:11:17 PM
Event ID:      41
Task Category: (63)
Level:         Critical
Keywords:      (2)
User:          SYSTEM
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WER-SystemErrorReporting
Date:          9/7/2012 10:11:38 PM
Event ID:      1001
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A 
Description:
The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x00000050 (0xff586f50, 0x00000000, 0x828d828a, 0x00000002). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Re

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-Search
Date:          9/7/2012 10:11:53 PM
Event ID:      3038
Task Category: Gatherer
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Description:
The gatherer is unable to read the registry Path.
Context:  Application, SystemIndex Catalog
Details:
 The registry value cannot be read because the configuration is invalid. Recreate the content index configuration by removing the content index.  (HRESULT : 0x80040d03) (0x80040d03)
Event Xml:

Log Name:      Application
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-User Profiles Service
Date:          9/6/2012 9:59:54 PM
Event ID:      1530
Task Category: None
Level:         Warning
Keywords:     
User:          SYSTEM
Description:
Windows detected your registry file is still in use by other applications or services. The file will be unloaded now. The applications or services that hold your registry file may not function properly afterwards. 
 DETAIL -
 1 user registry handles leaked from \Registry\User\
Process 452 (\Device\HarddiskVolume2\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe) has opened key \REGISTRY\USER
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

#5 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

Hi Misstrulie

Let's try a simple memory diagnostic test.

Using this tool will require a reboot, so keep that in mind before you launch it.

Click the Windows Orb (used to be the START button in XP) and in the Search Programs and Files box type
memory
and you should see the first option will say Memory Diagnostics Tool or it might be called Windows Memory Diagnostic.
Click on it to run it.

A dialog will pop up asking if you want to reboot and check for problems now, or check for problems the next time you restart.

Do the one most convenient for you :)

Let us know the results or if you have any problems running it.

James

#6 Misstrulie

Misstrulie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:47 AM

I went one step further and the computer has two 512k and two 1gb ram Simms. I took the two 1 gb out and it seemed to hang with the 2 512k ones. So I took those out and put one of the 1gb in, it seemed to work, so I put the other 1gb in and it too seemed to work. So I thought horray again problem solved, but not so. After I turned it off for an hour and went to do a reboot from the desktop, it didn't boot at all, black screen. So I turned it off tried again, again black screen. I said third times a charm so I try again this time it says starting Windows but has green fuzzy lines like static on tv running through the screen with starting windows ( this I didnt see before). One more time I shutdown and reboot this time I get the start windows normally screen and select it, now it starts Windows ok. I shutdown from Windows reboot and again starts fine. It almost seemd like when it has been off for a while it takes 3-4 tries to get it to load windows and always through the start windows normally screen, not on it's own. Do you think it could be the motherboard? Maybe power supply? I don't know what else to try. One other thing i have seen is it says something like " Nivedia Mediashied.... Detecting arrays" Sorry i didnt write it down.Thanks

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:39 AM

Time to check your hard drive also if swapping one, two RAM stick did not solve the problem. It may also point to the mobo or power supply.

Tekken

#8 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

Hi Misstrulie

Did you ever run the memory test? It's very easy to do.

That error does not just come up for errors with the main memory but also for errors with other memory on that computer like the video memory or other cache memories. So, I thought the best place to start was the easiest test.

I know that those computers typically came with 3GB of RAM. Is that the original memory?

Do you have a video card installed?
If so then let me know the manufacturer/model of it if you can find it. If not then the onboard video of those computers typically uses a part of your regular RAM(the 2 1GB and the 2 512MB sticks) as video memory.

If it passes the memory test with all 4 sticks installed, there is another memory test to run before we move on to other things and it is not as easy to do as the one I suggested in my previous post.

James

#9 Misstrulie

Misstrulie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:57 PM

Hi James,

I ran the memory test and it came back fine. The video card is attached to the motherboard at least that is what a friend of mine said when he opened it yesterday. He thought it felt hot. According to the case it has a Nvidia Gforce 6150E graphics.

After I checked the memory I turned the computer off from Windows and right away restarted it from the desktop (hard boot I think you call it). It started no problem. I again turned it off from Windows and waited 15 minutes now it went through the first screen showing memory, push F10 but froze at starting Windows, then a black screen and when I went to turn it off it was already off, so I pushed the button to turn it on again and it was dead no power, nothing. I turned the power bar off and turned the power bar back on. Pushed the button, it started but brought up the screen where Windows did not shut down normally, start from safe or normal. I say normal and it started up to Windows. My friend said may be power supply but thinks that I should get a new computer rather than spend $80 for power supply and then its not that. He thinks it is a long shot to find the problem. I really hate to buy a new computer if this is really not a serious problem or at least if I decide on a new computer I would like this one for back-up. Any ideas?

Sorry forgot still is original memory.

#10 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

Let's take a look at some more details of your system like temperatures, voltages, disk health, etc...

An easy way to do this is with a Speccy report.

Here are the instructions...
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792

Let us know if you have any difficulty/errors doing this.

James

#11 Misstrulie

Misstrulie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:28 AM

I have an update. I had a friend who knows about computers take a look. We did download Speccy and I will try to get the info and post it. We didn't see anything that looked unusual. We did try replacing the power supply just to see if perhaps it was going, that made no difference. We updated the video driver and that also made no difference. The computer still hung at Starting Windows and also crashed a few times with a blue screen. My friend was thinking perhaps we should get a new video card and disable the one on the motherboard, he is leaning towards it being the video card. I'm leaning towards buying a new computer. I'll keep you posted.

#12 James Litten

James Litten

¿Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

Let us know what happens. I think trying a video card is a great idea.

James

#13 The Warrior

The Warrior

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 05:29 PM

Try replacing CMOS battery , it doesn't cost much.

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

Hi Misstrulie

I have been using this site for such a long time, great for getting the info you need!

Finally signed up this evening... B)

I have been working for a number of years on virus removal, so here is my advice!

Backup all important data before you start if you can...

1) Go to the AVG website, download the free anti virus for a memory stick, think its worded something like that!

Load the files onto a USB stick which will make the stick bootable...

2)Change your options in your BIOS to tell it to boot from the USB stick first...

3) Allow the system to boot from the USB, this will perform a boot scan... This could take a couple of hours, best to leave overnight and remove any infections...

You should be able to boot as normal?

Here is a list of software

Malware Bytes
Super Anti Spyware
Avast Antivirus
Comodo Firewall
CCleaner
Rkill
Gmer
Autorun
Process Explorer

Read up on the above programs, install and run...

Your system should be good to go!!

Sorry its not in great detail but I hope it helps!!

- edit - I would certainly advise you to get rid of your current anti virus as you can install some much better programs for free!

Everything that goes wrong with a computer...is NOT the result of malware. Giving "shotgun blast" advice for a problem that typically resides in hardware...for a topic posted in a BC hardware forum...seems highly questionable to me.

We appreciate your desire to help...but let's try to focus in on what is stated as circumstances...rather than generalizing with a background of questionable, personal experience.

Louis

#15 Misstrulie

Misstrulie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

I wanted to thank everyone for their help and let you know that my boyfriend has determined after much trial and error the problem was that one of the ram slots on the motherboard is not working. Therefore we put Ram in two of the other 3 slots and it boots. If we put a SIMM in the one particular slot it doesn't work. So right now it is booting, but it may not be a good sign that parts of my motherboard are dying. Thanks again. I'll let you all know if it goes again. Keep you fingers crossed for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users