Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer locked

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

I gave my girlfriend a Toshiba NB305 notebook computer running Windows Starter Edition for portability last year. It was working fine until a couple of months ago when she noted that many internet sites were taking more and more time to load. This became increasing worse as she continued to use the computer. Now when we turn it on it does not even get to the Windows start-up. It stops at something that looks (to my untrained eyes) like a DOS query asking for "ENTER PASSWORD".
We can't get past this and have no idea what this password may be. She took it in to a computer store who told her it was a virus and would charge her an arm and a leg to "fix" it. Since she does not have much vital data on this machine I feel it is not worth it. I would prefer to buy another newer machine. However, I would like to try to salvage this one.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

Hi, Notebook or Netbook. It sounds as if the Bios startup password has been set. Can you enter the BIOS. When the Toshiba Logo appears Press the F2 key.

If it says Password before the Toshiba Logo appears then you need to get in touch with Toshiba to see what it takes to clear the password.

There is a possibility that the Toshiba set the password randomly. They have had the problem in the past on older models and they covered the clearing process under a extended warranty process. This may or may not be the case here.

Your girlfriend was not experimenting with setting passwords in the BIOS was she?

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

So. No we didn't change the BIOS password.
I called Toshiba tech help. They say no known issues with this specific machine. I should send it in for repair (to one of their stores of course).

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:01 PM

could you post the full model number and model part number off of the bottom.
It probably starts with a P and is usually between the model name and the serial number on the bottom.

Thanks
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 09 September 2012 - 09:01 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 mpetrodoc

mpetrodoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:11 PM

Model # NB305-N410BN
Part # PLL3AU-00L00C<ES5.0>

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

Well that was no help, I got the service manual, nothing there. It is going to need someone to get in touch with Toshiba support.

By that I mean a Toshiba Authorized Service Provider will need to get in touch with his Toshiba ASP Support. They can give give him details they won't give to the general public.

As much as I hate to say this you may have to end up paying to get that password cleared.

If no one else has any suggestions that may end up the way to go. Many Toshiba models I can get the information needed. Not this one I'm afraid.

One long shot, Can you remove the door over the memory on the bottom, Then remove the memory. There are two latches on the memory, gently spread them being careful not to overdo it. They are spring loaded. Then tilt the memory up and pull out. Take a good clear picture of the circuit board (Motherboard) and post it so I can look at it.

To replace the memory, gently push it back into the socket at the same angle it was removed at. Approx 45% and push gently down until it click into place. Turn on and make sure it is back in place by seeing the screen.

Put the image here and add the url when you reply.

http://imageshack.us/
ImageShack offers image hosting, free photo sharing and video sharing. Upload your photos, host your videos, and share them with friends and family.

or

http://www.flickr.com/
Should also work

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 10 September 2012 - 09:52 AM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users