Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely slow browsers despite high connection speed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Neski

Neski

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:05 PM

I installed Windows 7 on a new build about a month and a half ago. I downloaded many programs during the first week, but have not made many changes since. I started noticing the problem in the last week or two.
My browser speeds are getting increasingly slow. I use Firefox, but tried iExplorer once the problem started. The same issues exist one iE. Itís especially noticeable on various shopping sites that load a lot of small product pictures. The images will be extremely slow to load or the site my say loading for 10 minutes and never completely load. Opening gmail is getting slower or wonít load at all. Things that would load in a second now take minutes or fail to load completely at all.

This was happening off and on I think, but it is now a continuous problem. I have run speed test several times, but my connection speeds are consistently high. I havenít had any connection issues with any online gaming. The issue seems to be restricted to internet browsers. I have another computer connected to the same network that loads the same pages extremely fast that this computer canít load in minutes now.

I didnít have any AV software or anti-spyware running when the problem began. I have tried some programs after the fact. AVG full scan came back clean. Malwarebytes full scan detected and removed one trojan in a bit torrent P2P download folder. Threat Fire hasnít detected anything.

I appreciate any guidance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Neski

Neski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:48 PM

Something I forgot to note. I have noticed that when it is slowest, closing tabs in Firefox is not instant. I have also noticed that switching to private browsing on Firefox can eliminate at times, but the problem still exists other times.

Edited by Neski, 09 September 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 70,454 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:43 PM

Hello Neski

Lets see what we can find.

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  • Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Run RKill....

Download and Run RKill
  • Please download RKill by Grinler from one of the 4 links below and save it to your desktop.

Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3
    Link 4

• Before we begin, you should disable your anti-malware softwares you have installed so they do not interfere RKill running as some anti-malware softwares detect RKill as malicious. Please refer to this page if you are not sure how.
  • Double-click on Rkill on your desktop to run it. (If you are using Windows Vista, please right-click on it and select Run As Administrator)
  • A black screen will appear and then disappear. Please do not worry, that is normal. This means that the tool has been successfully executed.
  • If nothing happens or if the tool does not run, please let me know in your next reply

Do not reboot your computer after running rkill as the malware programs will start again. Or if rebooting is required run it again.

If you continue having problems running rkill.com, you can download iExplore.exe or eXplorer.exe, which are renamed copies of rkill.com, and try them instead.

>>>>
Please download TDSSKiller.zip and and extract it.
  • Run TDSSKiller.exe.
  • Click on Change Parameters
  • Put a check in the box of Detect TDLFS file system
  • Click Start scan.
  • When it is finished the utility outputs a list of detected objects with description.
    The utility automatically selects an action (Cure or Delete) for malicious objects.
    The utility prompts the user to select an action to apply to suspicious objects (Skip, by default). Let the options as it is and click Continue
  • Let reboot if needed and tell me if the tool needed a reboot.
  • Click on Report and post the contents of the text file that will open.

Note: By default, the utility outputs the log into system disk (it is usually the disk with installed operating system, C:\) root folder. The Log has a name like: TDSSKiller.Version_Date_Time_log.txt.

>>>>
I'd like us to scan your machine with ESET OnlineScan
  • Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
    ESET OnlineScan
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
    • Click on Posted Image to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
    • Double click on the Posted Image icon on your desktop.
  • Check Posted Image
  • Click the Posted Image button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check Posted Image and check Remove found threats
  • Click Advanced settings and select the following:
    • Scan potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth technology
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, push Posted Image
  • Push Posted Image, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the Posted Image button.
  • Push Posted Image

NOTE: In some instances if no malware is found there will be no log produced.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users