Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have Virus... Need Help! Bad!!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
90 replies to this topic

#1 Matty Z

Matty Z

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

My laptop is badly infected with something nasty. All I recall is that my antivirus seemed to "flag" something and I tried to follow instruction for quarentine and removal and computer began to restart itself and never stopped. I finaaly had to remove the battery to assure it stopped... it all really happened so fast that I'm not really sure what actually occurred. When I turn it on... it basically goes to the black screen where it tried to initialize... flips to a blue screen and then start over,,, its like its trying to overheat the hard drive or something... I'm not sure how do try to do it in safe mode or whatever... but its a damn mess. I had to borrow another computer so that I could contact you for help... I'm hoping you've got some tricks up your sleeve to help me get it to a point that it will start up and help me to remove whatever is infecting it so badly!! please help... Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HelpBot

HelpBot

Bleepin' Binary Bot

• Bots
  • 12,769 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

Hello and welcome to Bleeping Computer!

I am HelpBot: an automated program designed to help the Bleeping Computer Staff better assist you! This message contains very important information, so please read through all of it before doing anything.

We apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.

To help Bleeping Computer better assist you please perform the following steps:

Posted Image In order to continue receiving help at BleepingComputer.com, YOU MUST tell me if you still need help or if your issue has already been resolved on your own or through another resource! To tell me this, please click on the following link and follow the instructions there.

CLICK THIS LINK >>> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/logreply/468001 <<< CLICK THIS LINK

If you no longer need help, then all you needed to do was the previous instructions of telling me so. You can skip the rest of this post. If you do need help please continue with Step 2 below.

Posted Image If you still need help, I would like you to post a Reply to this topic (click the "Add Reply" button in the lower right hand of this page). In that reply, please include the following information:

• If you have not done so already, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.
  • A new DDS and GMER log. For your convenience, you will find the instructions for generating these logs repeated at the bottom of this post.
    • Please do this even if you have previously posted logs for us.
    • If you were unable to produce the logs originally please try once more.
    • If you are unable to create a log please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
    • If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.
  • Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.
  • Upon completing the above steps and posting a reply, another staff member will review your topic and do their best to resolve your issues.

Thank you for your patience, and again sorry for the delay.

We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again:

• Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.
  • A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.
  • Notepad will open with the results.
  • Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.
  • Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.
Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet.

Information on A/V control HERE

We also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit Scanner.

Please note that if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, you should not bother creating a GMER log.

Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:

Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal Advice

Then create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:

How to create a GMER log

As I am just a silly little program running on the BleepingComputer.com servers, please do not send me private messages as I do not know how to read and reply to them! Thanks!

#3 Matty Z

Matty Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

I think my brief description previously provided basically sums it up... but I tried to include a little video clip taken from my i-Phone that illustrates what it's doing during start up... but it was too big. I cannot begin to do anything so I'm not able to attach the DDS or GMER logs. I am running XP Professional and I believe its 32 Bit software. And I do have the original software and recovery disks.

#4 schrauber

schrauber

Mr.Mechanic

• Malware Response Team
  • 24,794 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:10 PM

Hello, Matty Z
Welcome to the Bleeping Computer Forums. My name is Thomas (Tom is fine), and I will be helping you fixing your problems.

If you do not make a reply in 4-5 days, we will have to close your topic.

Please take note of some guidelines for this fix:
  • Refrain from making any changes to your computer including installing/uninstall programs, deleting files, modifying the registry, and running scanners or tools. Doing so could cause changes to the directions I have to give you and prolong the time required. Further more, you should not be taking any advice relating to this computer from any other source throughout the course of this fix.
  • If you do not understand any step(s) provided, please do not hesitate to ask before continuing. I would much rather clarify instructions or explain them differently than have something important broken.
  • Even if things appear to be better, it might not mean we are finished. Please continue to follow my instructions and reply back until I give you the "all clean". We do not want to clean you part-way, only to have the system re-infect itself.
  • Please reply using the Posted Image button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic. The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply. Only attach them if requested or if they do not fit into the post.
  • Old topics are closed after 3 days with no reply, and working topics are closed after 5 days. If for any reason you cannot complete instructions within that time, that's fine, just post back here so that we know you're still here.
  • Please set your system to show all files.
    Click Start, open My Computer, select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
    Select the View Tab. Under the Hidden files and folders heading, select Show hidden files and folders.
    Uncheck: Hide file extensions for known file types
    Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
    Click Yes to confirm.

I will be back with a first fix soon :).
regards,
schrauber

Posted Image
Posted Image

If I've not posted back within 48 hrs., feel free to send a PM with your topic link. Thank you!

If I have helped you then please consider donating to continue the fight against malware Posted Image

#5 schrauber

schrauber

Mr.Mechanic

• Malware Response Team
  • 24,794 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:18 PM

Hi,

Let's try to boot your computer using the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows (UBCD4win).

Please print this guide for future reference!

You will need a blank CD, a clean computer and a flash drive.

Please follow the steps below and let me know if you were successful. If you were unable to create the UBCD4win, please tell me what error messages you got and/or what steps you got hung up on.

:step1:

1. Download and Run Ultimate Boot CD for Windows
  • Save it to your Desktop.
  • Double-Click on the UBCD4Win.EXE that you just downloaded to your desktop.
  • Follow all of the instructions/prompts that come up.
    NOTES:
  • Do not install to a folder with spaces in it's name.
  • Your Anti-Virus may report viruses or trojans when you extract UBCD4Win, these are "False-Positives." Read HERE for information regarding the files that normally trigger AV software.
2. Insert your XP CD with SP1/SP2/SP3 into a CD Rom drive
  • Double-Click on UBCD4WinBuilder.exe located in your C:\ubcd4win folder.
  • Click "I agree" to the Builders License.
  • Click NO to Search for Windows Installation Files
  • Make the following selections from the Main Screen that pops up:
    • Builder
    • Source:(path to Windows installation files)
    • Enter the path to the drive where your XP CD is located.
    • You can click on the "..." button on the right to navigate to the path as well.
  • Custom: (include files and folders from this directory)
    • No information is necessary, leave blank.
  • Output: (C:\ubcd4win\BartPE)
    • Keep the default BartPE
  • Media output
  • Choose Create ISO image
  • Do not choose Burn to CD/DVD

Please note: If your XP install disc is SP1 then please .....

• Disable- DComLaunch Service
  • Enable- LargeIDE Fix

This can be done by pressing the "Plugin" button and checking or unchecking the appropriate selections

Also note: If you have a Dell XP install disc you will need to follow the instructions here
http://www.ubcd4win.com/faq.htm#dell
[/list]
3. Click on the "Build" button
  • You will see the Windows EULA message. Click on I Agree
  • You will now see the Build Screen. Let it run it's course
  • When the Build is finished you can click close, then exit

4. Burn your ISO file to CD
  • Please see HERE on how to burn an ISO to CD.
[/list]
==========

:step2:

Next, from your clean computer:

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool
and save it to your flash drive.

Now plug your flashdrive back into your sick computer and follow the next instructions:

==========

:step3:

1. Restart Your sick Computer Using the UBCD4Win Disc That You Have Created
  • Insert the UBCD4Win disc in to one of your CD/DVD drives.
  • Restart your computer.
    • The computer should choose to boot from the UBCD4Win CD automatically. If it doesn't and you are asked if you want to boot from CD, then choose that option.
  • In the window that pops up select Launch The Ultimate Boot CD For Windows and press Enter.
    • It may take a little longer for the Desktop to appear than it does when you start your computer normally. Just let the process run itself until the desktop appears.
  • Once the desktop appears, you will receive a message asking: Do you want to start Network support?
    • Click on Yes if you want to use the PE environment to get online post your log and reply by way of an Ethernet connection.
  • You should now have a desktop that looks like this:

Posted Image

==========

:step4:

• Single click My computer from your UBCD4W desktop to navigate to the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool you saved to your flash drive.
  • Double click on it to begin running the tool.
  • When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your next reply.

regards,
schrauber

Posted Image
Posted Image

If I've not posted back within 48 hrs., feel free to send a PM with your topic link. Thank you!

If I have helped you then please consider donating to continue the fight against malware Posted Image

#6 Matty Z

Matty Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:23 PM

Regarding step one... I want to make sure of something. I am assuming that I create the disk on the "clean" computer as I couldn't begin to do this on my sick PC anyway. Please confiem. Also, does if have to be burned to a CD or can that part be put on a flash drive? My borrowed "clean computer actually doesn't have a disk drive (tiny laptop). If I can use a flash drive... great... if not... I'll have to use my work computer to create the disk. Let me know. Thanks!!

#7 schrauber

schrauber

Mr.Mechanic

• Malware Response Team
  • 24,794 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:22 PM

Hi,

We need a CD drive. You have to insert your windows cd and after that, the tool will get burned on a CD.
regards,
schrauber

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 Matty Z

Matty Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:31 PM

just checking in to let you kn ow I am trying to work on this. I jkust got an external cd drive to use and am downloading the ubcd4win soft ware right now. I had one failed attept indicating that the setup files were corrupted and my second attempt fron a different source seems to be moving along... its verifying itself right now. Question: what were doing will also try to save all of info and files on my corrupt computer correct? In other words, this CD I'm making isn't just going to wipe everything out, correct?

#9 schrauber

schrauber

Mr.Mechanic

• Malware Response Team
  • 24,794 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2012 - 12:47 AM

We will scan the system with this tool/CD. Don't worry :)
regards,
schrauber

Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Matty Z

Matty Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:16 PM

I'm really struggling to burn the ISO file to a disk... I've down loaded IMGBurn and another free one and neither seem to work. Is there a "better" one out there you suggest I use? sorry this is taking so long...

#11 schrauber

schrauber

Mr.Mechanic

• Malware Response Team
  • 24,794 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

What kind of problems do you have?

Edited by schrauber, 23 September 2012 - 10:33 PM.

regards,
schrauber

Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 Matty Z

Matty Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

Well... When I tried imgburn last night... Everything looked good except it never started writing the iso to the disk. The drive just kept spinning. I let it go for 15 minutes and it never really began so I canceled. Are there any hosted services instead of having to download freeware? I used another freeware and had the same basic result.

#13 schrauber

schrauber

Mr.Mechanic

• Malware Response Team
  • 24,794 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:16 AM

Hi,

When you use two different programs and still have problems, that the first thing you should is another blank cd. Sounds like the cd isn't empty or is damaged.
regards,
schrauber

Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 schrauber

schrauber

Mr.Mechanic

• Malware Response Team
  • 24,794 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:09 PM

Still with me?
regards,
schrauber

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 Matty Z

Matty Z
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

Yes Sir... Still with you... Will try to burn on new cd tonight!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users