Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop will not shut down, only restarts

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 computergeek522

computergeek522

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:29 AM

I have had my laptop (Dell Inspiron N7110) for less than a year, and everything has always run smoothly. I performed a format of my hard drive yesterday and installed a clean copy of Windows 7 Home Premium. Everything went fine with the format process, so I didn't think anything was amiss -- until I tried to shut down the laptop before going to bed. And that's when I discovered that it won't shut down, unless I physically hold down the power button (which I don't like doing, for obvious reasons.) If I choose the "Shut Down" option from the Start menu, the laptop goes through the "Shutting down..." process perfectly fine, but the laptop boots up again immediately upon turning off. So it's like instead of shutting down, the system just does a restart. Which is fine for some things, but I do eventually want to shut down my laptop (I don't like leaving it on overnight in case there's an electrical storm, for example.)

I'm at a loss here. This is something that has not happened before, so I'm totally stumped. Has this happened to anyone else, and if so...how in the world did you resolve it? I'm really hoping there's something simple I can do to fix it and that it's not something going wrong with the laptop already. :(

Snoofie : Computer Geek Wannabe

Dell Inspiron 5537
Intel Core i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60 GHz
8.00 GB RAM
Windows 10, 64-bit

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:15 AM

Hello computergeek522,

I performed a format of my hard drive yesterday and installed a clean copy of Windows 7 Home Premium.

1. ) How did you perform the re-install; partition on hard drive or DVD installation media?

2. ) If you attempt to start your computer in Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking, does it shut down normally?

3. ) Test your hardware: Dell provides a diagnostic utility to test your notebook hardware. This utility can be accessed at boot.

Here is your Dell Inspiron N7110 Setup Guide. (specifics can be found on page 63)

• How to run the Enhanced Pre-Boot System Assessment:
  • Turn on the computer and press the F12 key when you see the Dell Logo.
  • Select Diagnostics from the Boot Menu and press <Enter>.
  • During the Assessment answer any questions that appear.
  • Write down any error codes that are generated. Hopefully everything will pass.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users