Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New harddrive and o.s?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ozzie85

ozzie85

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:07 AM

It all started last tuesday and my computer crashed and it said physical crash dump. Ever sincd then my computer boots to a black screen that says hp and then it goes to a screen that says boot device not found,please instal an operating system on your hard disk. It gives me an error code of hard disk (3F0). If i hit F2 for sys.diagnostics it gives me different options like sys.info,i will list that here: hp pavilion dv7 notebook,processor type:intel core[tm] 2 quad,cpu q9000,processor speed 2.00 ghz,memory 6144mb,bios version F.25,and i was using vista as my o.s. When i try performing the start up test,it tests the memory and says 6,371,450,880 bytes of sys.memory ok, hard disk not found. So im assuming i need a new harddrive? And a new o.s? If so,can i instal windows myself? I'll bd buying winows 7 since i cannot get recovery disks for my laptop,according to h.p they no longer make them for mine. Hope you guys can give me some feedback because i need my computer fixed asap

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ozzie85

ozzie85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:06 AM

Anybody out there that can help? Before my computer officially went down it would crash and there would be a blue screen. Also, i play the sims3 and im hoping to be able to continue playing after my computer is fixed

#3 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:46 AM

Access the BIOS at startup (prob F2 or delete) and see if the drive is listed there. If not I would turn off the computer. Remove and reseat the drive. Start and check the bios again. If it is shown the try to run the drive diagnostics on it again. If you cannot get it to show up in the BIOS at all or if it does and it continues to fail the diagnostics then you will have to replace the drive and re-install the OS. if you don't have the re-install disks you can order them from HP for a nominal fee. Hopefully you have recent backups.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#4 ozzie85

ozzie85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

I tried hitting f2,and it performed a startup test and it says memory ok,hard disc not found. On a sidenote, i've contacted h.p and they told me they no longer make recovery disks for my laptop and i never made backups so essentially i'm bleeped in that i have to purchase windows myself and i may just install it to too save money.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:44 AM

Unless you are happy with the excuse to update to Windows 7, the Windows key on the COA sticker can be used to re-install from any Windows install disc of the same type. e.g. OEM XP Home if that's the original, and download drivers from HP site. The source of the installation doesn't have to be HP disc(s).

Edit: read again & noticed it's Vista

Edited by Platypus, 10 September 2012 - 07:23 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 ozzie85

ozzie85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:05 AM

I called hp back and after suspecting i was being lied to,i was told they do make recovery disks,what a pina this has been. Could i install windows myself or should i let a proffesh.do it? Also, do i need a new hard drive? My fiancee seems to think that i can get the hard drive wiped clean and install windows. But if there is no hard disk found, i pretty much need a new drive.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:28 PM

But if there is no hard disk found, i pretty much need a new drive.

That's quite likely, but there's a small possibility it could be another cause, such as a bad connector or faulty SATA channel on the mainboard. It would be a pity to buy a new hard drive and find it still didn't work.

I think it would be safest to have the hard drive tested to make sure. If you don't have access to a way to do this yourself (e.g. fit drive to another computer), then it might be best to get it all professionally done. However if you'd like to try tackling either or both for yourself, then we can continue to offer assistance.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users