Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop wifi occasionaly drops

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 A-placid

A-placid

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 AM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:39 AM

So hello!

When I'm next to the room where the router is, the WiFi connection sometimes just drops. I'd say that I can surf something like 2-3 minutes and then all of sudden the WiFi connection drops, and the WiFi tray icon says that I have a limited connection. Though the signal quality is 4, and sometimes even 5 (which is maximum). And then it takes like 15-20 seconds to get everything back to normal again. But then again.. when I was in the same room as my router, actually on the same desk as the router, I didn't have any problems with WiFi dropping - I think I'll test later tonight again, if there's really a difference if I sit basically next to the router and then when I go to the other room, the connection starts dropping every once in a while (and remember, I still have an excellent signal quality). And I'll add just in case that I haven't had any problems with wired connection. And in our household we've got one laptop more, and this one hasn't had any problems with WiFi dropping. So.. it must be something with my laptop.. I guess.

I'm sure you need some more details as well, so there you go:

- WiFi network card: Atheros Communications AR9485 Wireless Network Adapter

According to device manager:
Driver date: 3.10.2011
Driver version: 9.2.0.458

- Second network card (for wired connection, I guess): Attansic (Now owned by Atheros) AR8161 Gigabit Ethernet

According to device manager:
Driver date: 16.01.2012
Driver version: 2.0.12.13

- Router: SpeedTouch 780WL - Software release: 7.4.4.7
- Anti-virus: McAfee Internet Security | Can't tell you the exact version, because it has different versions for different things. For example SecurityCenter has v11.0 and VirusScan has v15.0. Just to add that I've heard that some people have had problems with WiFi, and it has been anti-virus' fault. Well.. I'm not planning to keep McAfee, I'll get rid of it soon. But I think it might help if I mention the anti-virus program too.

If there's any other detail that I forgot to mention, let me know, and ask =)

Cheers!
A-placid

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:19 AM

You could always disable or reinstall your antivirus if you speculate that its causing such problem. What router and laptop model do you use? Have you tried changing channel for the router?

Tekken

#3 A-placid

A-placid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:15 PM

Well yeah.. looks like McAfee was the thing that affected my WiFi. At least it seems, because it hasn't dropped now. Changed McAfee to ESET's Smart Security, and everyhing seems to be OK. So if everyhing's working, I guess I shouldn't change the channel for the router. But I'll let you know, if the problem comes back. But thanks jhayz atm =)

A-placid

#4 evti

evti

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:54 PM

Just a note, your wireless driver seems a bit out of date. Updating it regardless of problems never hurts :) http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=60&system=5

#5 A-placid

A-placid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:36 AM

Might be a stupid question, but there's bunch of files in the zip (win78-10.0.0.75-whql.zip) and there's no .exe installation file. How am I supposed to install this driver? :lol:

Edited by A-placid, 10 September 2012 - 07:36 AM.

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:20 AM

Hello,

I'm not sure I would install any drivers downloaded from "The Unofficial Atheros Czeck Drivers Site" http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=60&system=5.

You stated that your wireless is working well since uninstalling McAfee. I'd leave well enough alone.

If you want to look for a wireless update, I would recommend checking the website of your computer manufacturer, if it's an OEM (Dell, HP, Toshiba, etc.) or the manufacturer of your motherboard if the computer is home built.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users