Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broadcom Network adapter Problems

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 AndrewSe

AndrewSe

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:29 AM

Hi

I've two laptops nx6110 and nc6120 HP both virutally identical. A few months ago I reinstalled XP on to one of the machines and had to download the broadcom netextreme gigabit ethernet adapter from HP site and install it to connect up to the home network.

Now I am reformatting the other machine, doing the same as before - installing xp and used the driver for the ethernet and it (exe for adapter) seems to run and then start up the set-up wizard, it doesn't do anything after that and I do not see the driver listed in device manager under network adapters - only see 1394 adapter (what is that by the way?).

In my other machine - under the network adapters in dev mgr - both ethernet adapter and 1394 adapter are there. Why is this ethernet adapter not showing up when - apparently - I install it. As I have said the install seems rather quick and not much happens at all after the wizard sems to get going, just says preparing the wizard, a few runs of a blue loading bar, then it shuts. Tried rebooting as well.

I thought perhaps the driver is slightly different for the two machines so tried the one from the nx6110 site and I it is the same one (I did compare size/file name of different machine adpater install files before hand anyway), and it does the same thing as described above. What could be causing the ethernet driver to not install even though I am running the install file?

Thanks

Andrew

Edited by AndrewSe, 09 September 2012 - 05:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:59 AM

Hi Andrew,

Can you take a picture from the Device Manager with the Network Adapters expanded and also the Other Devices group if it exist on the devices tree.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 AndrewSe

AndrewSe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:44 AM

This is the dev mgr from the working laptop, which has the ethernet adapter driver

Posted Image

And this is the one that doesn't

Posted Image

I also see the ethernet device in the programs list so it is installed

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:31 AM

Hi,

Click the Ethernet Controller from the Other devices group the press Delete and confirm you want to remove it
Right click on the computer name on top of the tree and select Scan for Hardware Changes

Windows should detect the network device and install the driver if its the correct one you have installed.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 AndrewSe

AndrewSe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:09 AM

Hi,

Click the Ethernet Controller from the Other devices group the press Delete and confirm you want to remove it
Right click on the computer name on top of the tree and select Scan for Hardware Changes

Windows should detect the network device and install the driver if its the correct one you have installed.

Done that and what happens is I get a balloon saying a A problem occurred with the installation of the hardware and keep getting found new hardware wizard. I also got a notification balloon saying found new hardware ethernet controller but dev mr list still the same. Going to try running the found new hardware wizard and put the disk in with the installer on it.

Update: When I try using the disc with the installer on it the wizard doesn't recognise either the disc or the location where it is so can't do anytthing with it.

Andrew

Edited by AndrewSe, 09 September 2012 - 09:11 AM.

#6 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,035 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:30 AM

Please do this
1 - Open Device Manager
2 - right click the Ethernet Controller
3 - Properties > Tab Details > On the Property box select Device Instance Id
4 - Copy & Pate the values on the box to your next Reply

___
Rui

#7 AndrewSe

AndrewSe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:36 AM

PCI\VEN_14E4&DEV_170C&SUBSYS_099C103C&REV_02\4&AD1B67F&0&70F0

#8 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

This is your ethernet driver

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp27501-28000/sp27697.exe

good luck

#9 AndrewSe

AndrewSe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:58 AM

Thanks that works now

#10 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:06 AM

You're welcome :)

#11 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:42 PM

1394 adapter (what is that by the way?)
firewire connection

to me it looked like you needed to install the laptop chip-set driver [should always be the first driver install on fresh install ]

Edited by hamluis, 12 September 2012 - 06:37 PM.
Corrected typo - Hamluis.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users