Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 Enterprise on an Archos 9 PC Tablet vs Old XP machine

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 herg62123

herg62123

• Members
  • 553 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:47 PM

I have an archos 9 PC tablet and an old xp desktop running windows 8 enterprise edition (full activated version and not the evaluation version) and my thoughts are as followed based on a touch screen vs a non touch screen:

On a tablet windows 8 is perfect.

It is easy swiping to navigate and touch response is fast. Load up is faster than windows 7 starter (which the tablet came with) but with only one gig of ram it is still slow on booting up. Once it is fully loaded everything is fast in response.

So all in all, on a tablet windows 8 gets a 9 out of 10 score.

Now on an old desktop that runs a intel Pentium 4 chip set:

On this desktop (which only has one gig of ram) boot up was faster than my archos 9. How that is I don't understand since this machine is at least 10 years old. Once booted up, navigation with a mouse it is hard to navigate cause my mouse only scrolls up and down, not left and right. So going through the metro ui is something to figure out, but maybe with a touch mouse it maybe different. I do not own a touch mouse but maybe one day I will. Till then i have to use the scroll bar at the bottom of the start menu to move around the screen. Now once in a program that scrolls up and down it works great.

So all in all, on a non touch screen computer i give it a 2 out of 10 score.

On either version:

Trying to get to the hidden menu to shut down the computer on either device takes some time to get used to as well. I hate change and wish the old start menu was there but you know Microsoft and has to change things up. I guess their saying is if it ain't broke than change it up to confuse everyone again.

My over all thoughts are like everyone else that has blogged about windows 8 saying:

On a tablet with windows 8 do well but for a laptop or desktop that is not touch it will be a lot like vista......a flop.

Microsoft if you read this all I can say is - REALLY WHAT WERE YOU THINKING????????
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 12:33 PM

I can also install Windows 8 on brand new touchscreen tablet and also on my old P3 computer with 512MB ram. I think I would arrive at the same result.

#3 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:24 PM

cause my mouse only scrolls up and down, not left and right

i to am running windows 8 enterprise edition full activated version and not the evaluation version,on a desktop ,intel duel core 2.2 ,3gig ram and it runs way faster [fully booted in just 20 seconds ]than the computer did with either winxp or win7
i only have a up/ down scroll mouse but when i scroll up and down it moves start screen left and right ,
got tired of try to get to shutdown on the right side tool bar,i just use Alt+f4[also what i use to close apps that open in the start screen ] way quicker ,plus i do a lot of ISO file burning and mounting and win8 now does both ,i give it higher marks than you ,actuall like it just as much if not better than win7 now after using it for about a month now

Edited by caperjac, 12 September 2012 - 05:25 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users