Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop freezing

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 sher-locked

sher-locked

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 AM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:37 PM

I posted a while ago saying my laptop would freeze etc, and I suspected it was because my fan needed to be cleaned. I got it checked out and cleaned, and my fan is working perfectly okay now. However, the freezing just happened again. I wasn't doing anything specifically hardcore, I just had my browser open and was listening to the radio, and scrolling through Facebook etc. I had only 3 or 4 tabs open. When I opened a new page to someone's blog, my laptop froze again. The mouse froze, I couldn't do anything, even my Caps Lock wasn't functioning. The music started going insanely slow. I waited for a bit and it stayed like that, so I just switched it off and restarted it. I got my hard drive checked out at the store and they said it's okay and there are no issues with it. It might be my registry because I use CCleaner from time to time. Any help would be great.

Edit: Might be irrelevant, but I don't know. Last time it froze, I was opening a Tumblr blog page. It happened again just now for a similar blog on the same site, but it unfroze after a few seconds.

Edited by sher-locked, 08 September 2012 - 10:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

Have you tried running in safemode with networking? Does it freezes when not connected to the internet? Please post the computer model next time.

Tekken

#3 sher-locked

sher-locked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:13 AM

Yep, it froze during Safe Mode too. I've got a Sony Vaio VPCEB24FD.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:17 AM

Most likely overheating issue. Did you run a hardware diagnostic test for the hard drive and memory and check for any errors?
Try downloading Speccy and then install the program. To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Download MiniToolBox and select all options.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply.

Tekken

#5 sher-locked

sher-locked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

It's not an overheating issue because I just got my fan sorted out, and it's barely even hot now.
Screenshot: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/13ouAC3x65EhvZi7jvwFIm3
My harddrive is fine. I did a test, the guy who fixed my computer did a test, and I've only had it for a year (it got busted and I had it replaced under warranty). I've noticed the freezing usually happens if I'm listening to music either via YouTube or iTunes in the background. So far, the freezing hasn't happened yet.

#6 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:45 PM

Hi sher-locked,

As jhayz suggested earlier, a bad memory module can cause computer freezing. You should next test your computer's memory. It is best to test memory outside the Windows operating system, so please follow this post: Windows 7 - RAM - Test with Memtest86+ to either create a bootable CD or USB flash drive to run the test.

• Once the computer is booted from the CD or USB flash drive, MemTest86+ with start automatically and continue until you stop it.
  • My recommendation would be to run MemTest86+ overnight; 12 hours rather than just 7 passes.
  • There should be NO errors reported.
  • The test can be stopped (press ESC key) as soon as an error is reported.
  • See Part 3: If you have errors.

Please let us know the outcome.

Regards,
Brooks

#7 sher-locked

sher-locked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 02:40 PM

For some reason, that link isn't opening on Chrome or IE. And there aren't any negative effects if I do this, right? I'm in college and can't afford for my laptop to die on me if I mess up.

#8 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:09 PM

Hi,

I'm not having any difficulty accessing the link with either Firefox or Chrome. Windows 7 - RAM - Test with Memtest86+

Running MemTest86+ shouldn't hurt your computer. Since you are having freezing problems, it's possible that the computer could freeze. I understand that as a student you need a functioning computer. This test can be run anytime and at your convenience. Maybe it would be best to wait for a long weekend.

Regards,
Brooks

#9 sher-locked

sher-locked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2012 - 08:10 AM

So I did the Memtest thing overnight. 9 passes, 0 errors. I'm almost quite certain this is a messed up registry, because I thought I was awesome and could run a different bunch and nothing would go wrong. I tried doing System Restore from the earliest point I had (which was roughly a month ago) and it still happened. I've noticed it happens when I'm watching a video/listening to music.

#10 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:22 AM

Hello,

It is good that the memory passed; however, I assume that your computer is still freezing. Stay away from registry cleaners; there are almost no advantages to their use and many disadvantages (i.e. a messed up computer).

( 1. ) Please start by running Windows Check Disk program to check and fix any file system errors that may have been caused by "hard shutdowns" after freezing episodes:
  • Double click on the "(My) Computer" icon on your Desktop or in your Start Menu.
  • Right click on the drive to test and click "Properties."
  • Select "Tools" tab and under "Error checking" click "Check now."
  • Make sure that only the following box is checked.
    • Automatically fix file system errors
  • Click "Start."
  • Click "Schedule disk check" then reboot your computer.

( 2. ) Next, please go to the link below and verify that these downloads are for your specific notebook computer and that they are for your version of the Windows operating system (i.e. Win 7, x64).

VAIOŽ E Series Laptop, Model # VPCEB24FD: Drivers and Software Download.
  • I notice that there are updated drivers for various programs and hardware.
  • Please note the video driver, first. There appears to be a critical update.
Check other drivers and software and update accordingly.
  • Windows should create a system restore point automatically, but I would advise that you create a manual restore point before beginning the update process.

Regards,
Brooks

#11 sher-locked

sher-locked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2012 - 07:04 PM

So I gave up and took my laptop to a store. He wiped everything and reinstalled Windows etc. It's a lot faster now and I thought that it was okay. Till it froze again when I tried to listen to the radio online. He checked my RAM and hard drive and said it was okay. My laptop isn't overheating and I've got Norton now and I did do a scan, and my laptop's clean. I can't fathom what would possible be wrong. Could it be my browser? I'm using Google Chrome. I've done absolutely nothing but download a few things (WLM, Firefox, Microsoft Word, iTunes, and WinRAR).
I don't know if this is relevant at all, but when it freezes nothing works, my Caps Lock won't light up if I press the button, ctrl+alt+del won't do anything, and then it unfreezes and all those actions happen at once.

#12 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:33 AM

sher-locked,

Could it be my browser? I'm using Google Chrome.

Try Firefox.

Have all the driver updates from the Sony site been applied?

Can you try to reproduce the freezing in Safe Mode with Networking?

Regards,
Brooks

#13 sher-locked

sher-locked
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:26 AM

Okay so, it froze again (big surprise) but when it unfroze I got a popup that said my Intel graphic card crashed, or something along those lines, but they recovered it? How do I know all my drivers are up to date or not.

#14 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

Can you try to reproduce the freezing in Safe Mode with Networking?

Regards,
Brooks

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:29 PM

Try these fix Here.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic