Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shuts off unexpectedly

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 18miperday

18miperday

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:05 PM

My computer is shutting off unexpectedly and freezing. Sometimes, when the computer is off and I press the power button, the fans will start up and then turn off after a couple of seconds, before anything appears on the screen. Pressing the power button again does nothing at this point. If I switch off the power supply and wait a few seconds, then switch the power supply back on, the computer will respond to the power button again. The start/stop might happen again, or the computer might boot up.

Sometimes, when I press the power button, the computer will boot up and run normally, then suddenly turn off from a minute to half an hour later. The screen goes blank and the fans stop running. Pressing the power button does nothing. After cycling the power supply off and on, the computer responds to the power button again. This behavior doesn't seem to be related to anything I am doing with the computer.

Sometimes, the computer becomes unresponsive to the USB mouse and keyboard, but keeps running. The mouse's light stays on and the keyboard lights stay on. Hitting the caps lock key doesn't change the state of the caps lock light on the keyboard. If I press the reset button, the computer restarts, but halts with a "keyboard not found" error during reboot. If the power supply is cycled off and on, the computer will boot without the "keyboard not found" error.

I hadn't changed the hardware or software for some time before the problem began occurring.

I replaced the original Enermax 460W power supply with a Corsair 650W, but this did not change the behavior.

The computer was purchased from XI in 2006. Hardware:
MSI K8N NEO4-F Nvidia NForce 4 PCIe DDR 400 -1GbNic+-SATA RAID 0/1-AC97 7.1
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ 64 Bit Dual Core (DC4000) 2x1024KB Cache Hyper Transport
2048MB DDR 400 MHz PC3200 2x1024MB Dual Rank Interleave
NVidia Quadro FX 1400 128 MB PCIe 2x DVI Dual Head SLI Capable
150GB 10000 RPM SATA 150 MB/s WD Raptor 16MB Cache <9ms (replaced 3 years ago)
HD Ctrl according to motherboard and HD type
DVD+RW/DL/+R-R/CD-RW SONY DW-Q30A
1.44MB 3 1/2" floppy drive
On board Sound AC 97 Codec
On board 1GB Ethernet

Software:
XP Pro 32 bit SP3
Office 2003
Kaspersky Internet Security 2012

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:44 AM

. If I press the reset button, the computer restarts, but halts with a "keyboard not found" error during reboot. If the power supply is cycled off and on, the computer will boot without the "keyboard not found" error.

You can disable halt on all errors in the BIOS setup. Try also changing your CMOS battery.

Tekken

#3 18miperday

18miperday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

Thanks, but I suspect that it's halting because it can't detect the keyboard. If I disable the halt, it will boot up, but I still won't have my keyboard. I need to fix the problem with the computer losing the keyboard.

#4 Baltboy

Baltboy

Bleepin' Flame Head

• BC Advisor
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:51 AM

I had similar problems for sometime with my old setup. Mostly with it shuting down, becoming unresponsive, or sounding like it would start but not ever getting to the BIOS screen. In the end I would just randomly startup on its own in the middle of the night but never boot into the operating system. Finally I determined it was the motherboard, through much trial and error, causing the issues. More than likely it was a failing VRM causing the instability through undervoltage or overvoltage conditions. Yours sounds pretty much the same.
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.
Mark Twain

#5 18miperday

18miperday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:31 PM

I'm hoping I won't have to go through a lot of trial and error. So far I have one trial and one error with the power supply. At least the system has a solid foundation.

I found one motherboard new, but the price seems high. I also found many used on ebay for an OK price. I think I would go that route, because this won't be my primary computer.

Edited by 18miperday, 09 September 2012 - 07:35 PM.

#6 18miperday

18miperday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 12:23 PM

A check of the motherboard revealed a couple of leaking capacitors. I'll replace the board and see if that fixes the problem.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

The Leaking capacitors are replaceable. If You buy a used Motehrboard how do you know those same capacitors aren't getting ready to fail?

If you do decide to change them take a look at this post. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic467919.html/page__view__findpost__p__2835369

If you do let me know and I can dig up some tutorials for you to peruse.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 18miperday

18miperday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:57 PM

A few years ago I had a couple of capacitors explode on a motherboard. I bought replacements at the local electronics store and shoehorned them in (they didn't quite fit) and they worked. I guess I got lucky on the ESR. I don't feel so lucky this time, so I like the idea of swapping in another board and fixing the bad one at my leisure. Who knows, maybe those caps aren't the only problem.

Thanks for the reference info on the caps. There's a lot of good stuff in there.

Edited by 18miperday, 11 September 2012 - 11:43 AM.

#9 18miperday

18miperday
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 05 October 2012 - 11:45 PM

I bought a used motherboard on eBay for a decent price. It arrived on schedule, in good condition. None of the capacitors are bulging or leaking, and the board is nice and clean. It even came with a battery in good condition. I swapped it in and the computer started right up. After a couple of days and several running sessions, it looks like the problem is gone. Now I can focus on business and fix the old motherboard as time allows. Thanks for the help!!

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 06 October 2012 - 09:46 AM

As you have now observed it is more likely the motherboard will go before the CPU.

Thank You for reporting back the final resolution of the problem.
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users