Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thermal pastes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:32 PM

When building a gaming desktop computer, what is the absolute BEST thermal paste to use to help keep the proccessor cool. And are there facts to back it up ?
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

Quite honestly...there is no reasonable way for anyone to claim a "best" thermal paste. Just about any product sold meets the required specs for such...and the fact that a product claims to be able to withstand higher temps than any system will ever reach...is ludicrous and not pertinett at all to the function of thermal paste.

IMO :)...

Louis

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

I tend to use arctic silver. However If I wanted to keep the CPU (Processor) running at the lowest temperature I would go liquid cooled. Reading the user reviews is helpful.

Roger

Moderator Edit: Moved topic from Internal Hardware to the more appropriate forum
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 08 September 2012 - 05:01 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:26 PM

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=thermal+compound+comparison+2012&oq=Thermal+Paste+Comparison+2012&gs_l=hp.1.1.0j0i22.0.0.1.3675.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.olQ073xTe4o&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=2abbb22f4a0c88fb&biw=1155&bih=665

Like posted above, there are lots of claims as to what is best, but almost every test shows a different winner.

I still use my little syringes of Shin-etsu that I got on a super deal from Ebay 4 years ago. Some reviews show it middle of the road, some show it near the top. What is important to me is that it is already paid for.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 klassic

klassic

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:32 PM

I personally use Arctic Silver 5 most often. I have also used IC Diamond (Innovation Cooling). It is a bit more expensive than AS5. I noticed that IC Diamond seemed to offer a few degrees lower temperature.

#6 RacefanofJr

RacefanofJr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 316 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

Thank you everybody for the advice. I usualy use Silver Acrtic 5 and so I will keep using it.
The measure of man's real character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

#7 PcRc

PcRc

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:17 AM

Most people use Arctic silver 5. But unless one is made of some special blend that is proven to provide better connection between the heatsink and the CPU... they are all basically the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users