Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gaming laptop advice

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 alpoxwolf

alpoxwolf

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 PM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:26 PM

I'm saving up to buy myself a laptop in time for my birthday. I will have about $2,000 to spend, but I'm still in the process of saving up. With all this free time, I've been doing some research. The more I look into things that I didn't know before, the more supped up I want to make this laptop. And see, the problem is my budget. lol, I just don't have it. I need to start cutting corners, and quit thinking so extravagant. So, that's why I'm here asking for advice.

I've pretty much decided on an MSI brand. I got my husband one a few months back, and its pretty nice. I love the customizable backlit keyboard, though I did notice that some of the keys were a bit insensitive or unresponsive at times, which I'm going to hope isn't a problem. I wasn't too crazy about the matte screen either, but I think my opinion has finally been swayed. There are some prebuilts on newegg, but I will probably be shopping from a sort of third party manufacturing site, so that I can customize.

So, here's the jist of it. I mainly watch movies, multitask, and do some minor gaming. I would like to be able to play skyrim fully modded at the highest settings with no lag. I've also recently started up Guild Wars 2. I used to play World of Warcraft, and various other MMOs. Nothing super intensive, like shooters or racing games. As for the 'multitasking', I will often have a web browser, photoshop program, messenger, video game, etc etc open all at once, and switch between them pretty regularly. I think the RAM should more than cover that though. Here's what I've got picked out so far:

17.3" Matte screen
i7 intel processor 2.3Ghz
12GB RAM
Invidia 675 with 4GB vRAM
128GB SSD + 500GB HDD

Now, for my onslaught of questions.

Would a 72% or 95% gamut screen make that much of a difference? If I lowered to a 670 card, do you think it would still be good for future gaming? Is the speed increase from an SSD drive significant, or would I be good with just a 500 or 750GB HDD?

I'm going with the least amount of ram and the smallest hard drives, because RAM should be easily expandable (though this is my first laptop, I've only opened up desktops before), and an external hard drive is pretty cheap. I guess the graphics card could be upgraded too, but... the chances of us actually upgrading it are kinda slim, I would figure. lol.

I suppose this is sort of more a discussion of opinions, but I am very open to educated suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:53 AM

It's best to get the fastest graphics card you can get for future games. SSD is blistering fast and in some games, a SSD would benefit but some don't at all. 8GB of ram is plenty for gaming.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users