Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Different cable/broadband speeds?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Greenfuse

Greenfuse

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

I'm relatively new, so I'm not sure this is the right place for this question, but here goes: How do cable companies regulate the different broadband speeds they offer with different packages? Is it the modem or is it something they do at the office or something on the pole or what?

I checked all over where it comes into the house, but I couldn't find the Slow, Medium, Fast switch! Probably should have been looking for a connection that reads: Lotsa Money, Even MoMoney, Gimme All You Got, Sucker! Didn't Dante have a circle for cable companies? I sure as hell would! Ah, geez, don't get me started! Thanks, greenfuse

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OSO ROJO

OSO ROJO

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:42 PM

Check out:

http://www.ehow.com/about_6363464_do-companies-limit-internet-speed_.html

:busy:

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

I have to disagree with that article stating that the modem configuration as the leading way to manage ISP speeds. I have always bought my own modem and connected it to the ISP. So my bandwidth has never been managed at the modem. I can however state that I know for a fact that ISP's have the ability to traffic manage connections from their datacenters. This would include being able to manage your download and upload speeds.

I can also tell you there isn't a 'switch' on your house or even on the pole you can flip to increase your bandwidth. Not only that if it existed and you did find one, and did it without your ISP's knowledge you would be committing the crime of bandwidth theft. And subject to the penalties available to the ISP and your judicial jurisdiction.

A more accurate article is here: How does your ISP actually enforce your Internet Speed by Art Reisman, CTO

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 OSO ROJO

OSO ROJO

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:24 PM

I like that link even better .. bookmarked .. and yea that does make more sense .. wasn't thinking about those that buy their own equipment :busy:

#5 Greenfuse

Greenfuse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

Animal: The "switch on the house" comment was self-deprecatory irony. I may be new, but I ain't bone stupid! And thanks for the moral lecture, what a wonderfully welcoming introduction to a simply curious newcomer. I may be a retired and disabled senior but I have not lost either my sense of curiosity or a kind regard for strangers until they prove otherwise worthy. I sure hope everyone here ain't as arrogantly contemptuous of FNGs.

#6 Greenfuse

Greenfuse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:06 PM

Animal: I just read the article referenced at the end of your previous post. The stuff about packet dropping, queuing and TCP was interesting, not really relevant for the end user, but interesting just the same. However, the rest of it is nothing but a pitch for something called "NetEqualizer" and the post is written by an officer(CTO) for, guess what?, netequalizer.com! Hmmm...

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 07:10 PM

I appreciate your self-deprecation. And as I stated there is,'t such a service switch. However many others read these threads and may not be aware of the consequences of such actions. I am sorry you feel it was a moral lesson directed solely at you. This was not my intent I only provided a warning to other newcomers who may not post but merely read.

Unfortunately with a text only medium with which to share ideas sarcasm, wit and tongue in cheek comments often lose something in translation.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#8 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:12 PM

Without thoroughly reading the links, I can't comment on them. But at least with Time Warner cable, the speed is controlled via a config file that is downloaded to the modem. Doesn't matter if the modem belongs to the cable company or the user, it still complies with DOCSIS and needs the config file before it will communicate.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:20 PM

I don't disagree that there was some product placement elements in that article. However I wasn't going to plagiarize it or modify it as a quote just to copy the relevant sections. It contained relevant and informational content, and with that we had to accept some product placement.

I also don't disagree that the informations is not that relevant to the end user. But the question was:

How do cable companies regulate the different broadband speeds they offer with different packages? Is it the modem or is it something they do at the office or something on the pole or what?

And the article I linked to was the one I found first in my collection, that best addresses how it's done according to how you asked the question. Is it the only answer, of course not. But it was the one I had available to answer the question in what I felt was the best way at the time.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#10 Greenfuse

Greenfuse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:12 PM

Derfram: Thanks. DOCSIS, huh? Great, now I have someplace to start. Sure is different from the Hayes dial-up days. Wonder what ever happened to them, guess I'll have to look that up to. Thanks again, greenfuse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users